Used 1999 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By shawm

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my baby new and it has 230,000 miles on it. No major problems, only routine maintenance (tires, batteries, brakes, oil changes, tune ups) over 15 years. I had to replace the heater/A/C diverter door at 227,000 miles at a cost of $237.00 at a body shop and now the park lights won't turn off after replacing the battery. Those are minor issues. It's in the shop now and regardless of cost, it will be repaired and I'll continue to drive it. It still looks great inside and out. I love it! I recently purchased a new car due to the high mileage and I hope my new Nissan (not a SUV) is as dependable. Would have purchased another Expedition, but I don't like the new body style.

Best SUV in its class EVER !!!
By jimmyz10

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

this is by far one of the best suv's built in the 2000's. sadly after 9 years we had to let her go, to get a newer more gas efficient suv, we got our EXPY used from a dealer with about 50k miles, I didn't EVER invested a penny in repairs other than oil changes, new tires (20's for the change of looks only) and smog checks. this suv had a lot of power, plenty of room, nice looks, design and interior as well as parts well equipped. my only deception? about 11 miles in city/ 14 in high way, no more! other than that I would be still driving it........

gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage

Pleased Expedition Owner
By nate86

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer at a little over 78,000 miles. It had just one owner prior, and was well maintained and cared for. The truck is awesome to say the lease. Stylish, BIG, yet very comfortable to drive, especially on the highway. Gas mileage? It has not been an issue because all I do is drive to school, work, and basic daily errands like grocery shopping and doctor visits. I think that a properly educated truck owner must know that proper maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups etc. are required, just like with other cars. This truck is built very strong and sturdy, and I feel powerful in the drivers seat when I drive it. This is the best SUV built in 1999, bar none.

Stereo system Leather seats Heated seats Size Reliability Black color Eddie Bauer trim EVERYTHING ELSE CD player in center console Can fit my whole family with ease and comfort

The parking break issue, sometimes the truck rolls down a hill if parked on it.

Best car we ever owned
By alex1695

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this car for about 8.5 years, we bought it used from the dealership at 98k miles and have since spun the odometer to 275k. We are a family of 4 and have done quiet a bit of travel and moving. This car has taken us on multiple long trips and plenty of space for gear and leg room for everybody. On one long trip hauling a u haul in the dark we hit an Elk, sadly in the middle of nowhere, but the car took us another 250 miles to civilization with a cracked radiator, misaligned front end and even rode smooth. This car has never and most likely will never die. Love this car, even gets decent gas for a full sized SUV.

Dual ac, 3rd row seating, heated seats, spacious interior, dual tone paint, large cargo space, plenty of windows, great design.

1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer
By pestka

1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had the Expy for a couple years and now have 270100 miles on her. One engine re-build and transmission is all I have had to do over the years.I hear about how the milage is, but I am getting 17ish in town and 20ish on the Hwy with the 5.4, people if dont shove your foot through the fire wall upon acceleration this is possible milage for all! I cannot believe how reliable this vehicle has been weather hauling the boat or the groceries this vehicle has meet my needs. She has handled all Wisconsin can throw at it. Ice, snow, and heat she comes through!!! Henry would approve of this bad@ss machine. I cannot belive someone traded me a mint Expy for a 2wd Sportage straight up, what a goof!

I have to say the AWD is the most loved feature, in winter it is so nice not to have to switch to 4WD while driving, specially when the wife is in it. My kids would say the moon roof is the best, for some reason this is the greatest thing in their young eyes! Secondly i love the storage, you would not believe how many McDonalds toys one can find when doing a good cleaning job, record is 9!

The only improvement I would recommend would be to make some room so a guy dosent have to hyperextend every part of the body to do repairs/maintenance, I do my own work and hate how in the day you could change plugs in 15 minutes, and now it takes an hour plus you gotta take half the top end to get at the plugs. Other than that this is an incredible machine as this is my first Ford I am impressed!