1998 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Too many glitches......
By jmurray on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought 'Jumbo' w/30k as it came off of Ford Exec lease program. Nice looking EB version. Good thing I got the extended warantee program 6ys/75k as the car has had fairly continual electric and mechanical problems (starter, engine mgmt system, rear wiper motor, etc....) Wife won't drive it anymore as she's been towed to the dealer 2 times. 'Jumbo' currently is running rough and has the check engine light lit and the airbag failure light on, so into the shop we go manana. Might need to sell before winter. Not considering another Expedition. Nice concept, poor delivery. Dealers not too helpful either.

Not bad but not great either
By gdiazj on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the Expi but in 12K miles I don't love it. In the 18 months we've owned it (lease turn-in), the switch that controls the turn signals and BRAKE LIGHTS has broken, the "brake" warning light and the "check engine" light have both come on. Plus one of the rear windows severely bends weather stripping when you roll it up. The shop couldn't tell me why the brake light came on and I'll have to go to the dealer ($$$) for the and the check engine light as it gave the local auto parts sensor reader conflicting messages. I have the 17" wheels and 4x4 options which may make the vehicle too tall for city folks with a baby like us.

very happy customer
By bill roof on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

a wonderful suv to own. My wife's favorite vehicle.

GRRRREAT
By Ann Jones on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed having this car when I did, until I got into the accident. It was not the cars fault it was my own bad judgement, but the car was damaged and it was time to get a new car. So I decided to get a new Ford Explorer, but this time I decided to go with the Ford Explorer Sport. I also throughely enjoyed this automobile.

Much more substantial than others
By berintheair on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We had a Toy 4-Runner. With 1 teenager, 1 very active 4 year old and another on the way, we felt very claustrophobic in that rig. We didn't even realize what we were missing in a full size rig until we climbed into the Expedition. The power was great. It was a much more substantial rig than the 4Runner. I couldn't believe how much more of everything we got, room, power, leather, v-8, less payment. We only lost about 4 mpg compared to the gutless v-6. We are 4 years into it and

98 ford expedition XLT
By steve-20 on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i have have this truck for almost 4 years now and i love it .it have been very good to me . i use the truck for towing and winching . i put a class 3 reciever on the front for that.whatever i wanted the truck to do it did.the only thing it could use is stiffer springs in the rear(for towing)but air bags might help

EXPEDITION: RELIABLE, FUN, AND PIMPIN
By esKINS2000 on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I HAVE HAD MY EXPEDITION SINCE 98 AND I LOVE IT! IT IS SO ROOMY AND THE SOUND SYSTEM IS KILLER

#1 Mom vehicle
By embeth on 03/08/02 18:28 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have the Black E.B 4x4 5.4L "Expy", and it is awesome!!! There is a alot of room inside, and my 5 children have plenty of room to sit. They love it! Everyday people spin their heads to catch a look at my Expy driving by. It has been an awesome vehicle. I may trade it in for the upgrade of the Lincoln Navigator, but I'm not sure because the Navigator looks too much like a suped-up XLT Expedition.

My Expedition, Dream Come True
By jwt on 03/06/02 11:31 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have really enjoyed owning this car. Adequate storage and luggage space, able to take children and grandchildren with us, looks great and have been able to tweak a few things to enhance hauling capability. Put on a front class III hitch and modified the rack to haul bicycles and a canoe. Have easily hauled building materials and have moved furniture.

Owner
By Hdebos on 02/27/02 20:46 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

The above vehicle is a very roomy, comfortable, and reliable vehicle.