1998 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Love my 98 Expedition!!!
By dzvess on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Expedition. Wouldn't trade it for the world, unless it was for a new Expedition!

Boppers Review
By Bopper on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I haved loved owning this vehicle. It has been very reliable for me...really nothing more than normal maintenance. I purchased it new in Feb, 1998 and I currently have 101,000 miles on it.

Car is good - electrical system terrible
By richardwliebert on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the car with one major glaring exception, the electical system is filled with Gremlins. Every time I take a long trip in the rain the electical system becomes possesed by demons.

good
By artdorrie on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Very dependable and durable. A bit rough riding. Good AFWD feature. Smooth trans and engine. Air suspension somewhat of a problem. Pump and other components have relatively short life and fairly expensive to replace.

Love my Expedition!
By Gee on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used and I love the truck! Great for long road trips. I drove from Cleveland to Vermont and then Maine and back. Very comfortable. ABS light issue and airbag light issue, both fixed. Drives like a dream! Nice to look at too.

Awesome Sport Ute
By hoseman on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently trade the first Ford vehicle I have owned in approximately 15 years. Sikeston Motor Co. in Sikeston, MO gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. I needed a full size sport utility and the only thing that fell into my price range was the Expedition. I checked with the owner and he had paperwork documenting the maintenance history. The only problem I've had was a single ignition coil and the vehicle has been all over the country. Including off road to various hunting and camping locations. I wouldn't consider buying anything else unless it was a diesel Excursion.

Dont buy this year
By JMJ on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Due to the multiple electronic issues that this vehicle has caused us we are rushing to drop it before our extended warranty runs out. We know many others w/the SAME issues. The best 2 examples I can tell you from our experience was when it would continuously lock/unlock the doors while also having the radio on & the heater on full blast (no keys in the ignition) blamed on a 'faulty remote key'. A more frightful example is where it was starting itself in our garage (again w/out keys). This time it was blamed on water shorting a computer... which sounds like the closest reason yet all of these electrical nightmares have happened.

Best suv I have ever had
By Zachary on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

You name it I have driven it. Ford expedition eddie bauer is by far the best.

Never thought I'd own a Ford
By dprov35 on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Its been 5 weeks and 2000 miles and overall I'd have to say that my wife and I are impressed. We enjoy this vehicle and it took us over a week to learn all of its neat little features. The engine feels strong and is much improved over my Nissan Xterra, nice low end torque. I didn't buy this vehicle for good gas mileage, but we were happy with the 16 mpg gallon on the trip up the east coast. One big concearn we have though is that the vehicle seems VERY loose in the rain, more so then my previous 2 SUV's. We are going to switch tires soon, hopefully giving us an improvement.

Great Value
By Chris from NC on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I've had my truck five years and only one problem and that was with the tires. I'm not nuts about the new body style and feel that I still have 100,000 miles left in my rig so I don't think I will trade this one in till I find something better,