Used 1998 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Good Used SUVs
By Irish Red

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I like the quick pickup - smooth handling and the comfortable ride - for an SUV.

Favorite Features

The leather seats wear and clean well. Sound system with CD changer is really nice. Third seat pops out easily and the 2nd folds down to carry a lot of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seating is practical only for children or very small adults.

The Expedition
By Matt

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

So far with this SUV, I have never once broken down. Of couse you have the "here and there" replacements, but it NEVER left me stranded once! This vechicle is strong too. When driving in the snow and other road conditions, I never go stuck with the 4WD system.

Favorite Features

I like the leather seats, rear heat/ air, power 3rd seat vents, radio control in rear.

Suggested Improvements

A little more performance would be nice (a few more horses).

I love my Ford!
By Sean McKenzie

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am in construction as is my Ford Expedition; we both handle it very well. It has all the power I need for towing yet a very smooth ride that my 6 month old daughter enjoys. It sticks to wet or even icy roads well and takes mud and rough terrain with ease. I change the oil and keep up on scheduled maintenance and it has never hinted at any mechanical problems to date. I realize it is not the funnest task to wrestle the third seat out if you need the extra space but other than the weight of the seat itself it unlatches nicely. I have 5 children who love riding in "daddy's big truck" and would never put them in anything that I was not sure about. I am SURE about my Expedition.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive on the fly, rear air, lots of horses and torque, 118 cu. ft. of cargo with no third seat and back seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Third seat fold into floor (which was improved in 2003).

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD
By R

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the vehicle new in April 1998. We now have roughly 108,000 miles on the vehicle and it drives the same as the day we bought it. The vehicle has required minimal maintenance, and is probably the finest and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have rarely put on more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle, but anticipate driving this vehicle to at least 175,000 or 200,000 miles. It is tight and looks great! Although the original MSRP was roughly $43,000 and the mileage is not so good, this vehicle has lasted so long, and at such minimal expense that it will be the most economical vehicle I have ever owned.A great truck!

Favorite Features

An overall great SUV!

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded interior leather.Better mileage!

My last Ford product
By Kurt

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My first vehicle was a Ford Mustang purchased back in the 70's. I owned a Honda and then a Toyota that I put over 200,000 miles on and it's going strong for someone else now. I tried a Ford Ranger in 1994; purchased new with poor results. I dumped it before the warranty expired. The 1998 Expedition averaged one trip to the garage each month. I put countless thousands into it and traded a big loss for another Toyota. I would really like to buy Ford products but I'm not willing to dump money and worry when the vehicle will break down next. Ironically, my new Toyota is built in Indiana.

Suggested Improvements

Put some pride back in your work, Ford.