1998 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
EB4wd_SweetSUV
By jekcartalk on 01/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought New 1998, Drive a mixture of Highway and City. Avg 13mpg. Kids like the car. Good handling in all types of weather. Replaced Goodyear with Michelin ltx at 65k miles. Burns a little oil. No Electrical problems ( knock on wood). Smooth transmission, brakes could be better. Above average in most respects. Pleasantly suprised for a Ford Product.

My Favorite Vehicle Yet
By Headwaters on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Being 6'4" tall, I was not able to find a midsize SUV that didn't lack headroom, legroom, width, or have the gear shift digging into the side of my right thigh. My '98 Expedition is the most comfortable, most rugged vehicle I have ever owned. Though huge, it is not overly "truck-like" in handling, it is powerful, roomy, unstoppable on the minimum maintenance roads I drive in Northern Minnesota. It rules.

Expedi
By TC Mouse on 12/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This 98 Expedition has met all expectations for reliability, comfort, towing, performance. Original owner, hauls cargo, three dogs, family trips, great road viz, no travel fatigue.

A++ Great truck
By 100yrs-of-FORDS on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I have had NO Problems w/this truck. I would buy another. 5.4L is great!

178,000 miles and still strong
By CWTeel on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this one new in 1998. Excellent vehicle other than leveling system wore out and is expensive - compressor 695.00, front dealer only air shocks 1200.00 for both. Had two value coils go out at $400.00 each. When they start to go it is better to replace all eight of them for about $1200.00 which I did later. Seat leather and armrest are poor quality and cracked at 75,000 miles. Steering wheel leather is cheap and cannot be cleaned without rubbing off color. Great engine still runs like new. Four wheel drive and transmission are perfect and never a problem! Will buy another. Will drive this one till it dies. Trade in value is very low.

98 Expedition
By continuedfordowner on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Purchased in 98, put 3000+ miles first week on vacation from Dallas to Phoenix. Experienced violent cross (60mph-blowing motor homes off road) and head winds. Ran perfect in all conditions. Only one issue with brakes, which were replaced by Ford in 2000. Turns better than many cars, and better than all large SUV's. Hope my future Expedition runs as well as this one. Uses lots of gas, but it's moving a large vehicle.

White Buffalo EB 4wd & 5.4L
By Bob Mack on 09/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

60,000 miles,very few problems. Bought it new. Brakes went at 40K, front differential seal at 50K. The Goodyear Wrangler RTS worn out at 55K. 17" Bridgestone Revo tires made a vast improvemnt in handling & ride. 4wd works like a dream; rode through 60 miles of TX South Padre Island beach sand like it was a throughway. As prevously stated,the air suspension componets (pump & frt shocks) wear out quickly and are expensive, but help to reduce excessive ride height. We hope to keep this one for 8-10 years. At 60 mph we can nurse 16mpg, but my wive's heavy digital driving style, around town we see just 11 MPG. Paint & leather is holding up well.

Nice Truck!
By brickydfan on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it used 9 months ago with 69000 miles on it. Now it has 80000. Ony routine maintenance so far. The family loves to travel in it. When I wear this one out I will get another.

Great SUV
By aclance1 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

My experiance with my 1998 EB 4x4 5.4L Expedition has been great. I changed the original brakes at 75K I recently changed the original fan belt, other than that no major maitence has been required. This truck has been really good to me and you can fit tons of people and stuff in it.

Good for...Everything
By Turner Johnson on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This large, rugged vehicle does not really excel at any one thing. But it does everything it was designed to do.. very well. Steering response, turning circle, braking, acceleration, passenger and cargo capacity, build quality (fit and finish), safety, user-friendly design and detailing...all well above average.