1998 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1998 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

Knock on Wood-Great Truck
By JoeJJ

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV with 55K on it. Currently have 91K on it with no major problems. Only repair thus far has been broken tie rod end which is scary because I drove it home 30 miles when the wheel started shimmeeing. After crawling under front end, the only thing holding the tie rod up was the rubber cover. $50 repair. Has decent power and is a bit heavy and rolly but I feel safe in it. It does suck gas like the tank has a hole in it. My friend has a Tahoe and he gets 16-18 mph, I only get 12-14 mph. I do think mine rides and drives better and is more stylish. All in all, a very good truck thus far, knock on wood. If they could only get 20 mph. :)

Favorite Features

Safety, Comfort, Reliability, Nice Audio System.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Mileage, Lighten up the vehicle somehow.

Good Family traveling vehicle
By mitchell,jennifer

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall it has been a good dependable vehicle to own and drive. It's major draw back is it's fuel economy, my truck gets about 13 to 14 miles to gallon city and 17 to 18 highway. Repair costs and general maintenance prices is above average.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room when traveling for adults,kids and luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Fun / But
By dlhickman

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a fun vehicle to drive, but watch out for the mechanical. The direct ignition system is prone to failure w/these coils running 100+ -- replacement of the eight could set you back 1200-1500

Favorite Features

secure ride , feeling of safety

Suggested Improvements

The ignition system

Great for High Mileage
By Exp Owner

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been averaging 30K-40K a year. Besides routine maintence I have had no problems. I currently have 164K with original everthing. I am currently having small wear and tear problems, but nothing major.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, quiet, and great winter handeling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Economy, more room behind 3rd seat, or I could buy something bigger. Bring back the idea of the 4.5 Powerstroke that was cancelled in 03

Solid Feel
By Panguluri

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Just bought this for about $14,000. after 71k mi. the ride felt solid and the reviews checked out to be decent. I liked the security of a large vehicle, the 4x4 and the third row seating for my family of 4 and occasional guests. leather is largely intact, but you can see some rips on the drivers seat. electricals are a bit weird the 'door ajar' sign stays on for a couple of minuges someitmes, and it's tough to figure out if the whole thing is malfunctioning or if it's trying to be smart. abut 14 mi/gal. the 5.4L engine is plenty to jump the truck out of the road if you need to merge or merge ahead of the other car rather than behind it.

Favorite Features

powerful engine, large and plush interior, solid feel to the ride

Suggested Improvements

better leather quality. more testing of electrical system.

OMG IT's a Ford
By JCS

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

It has 130,000 miles on it and has been reasonable for repairs. Some quirkiness in the electronics such as lights and chimes that won't deactivate when they should. The tranny is groaning a bit even after service. 4wd system is excellent and the ride is comfortable. Just don't try an Indy car moves on the roadway or you will roll the beast. The brakes are expensive to replace. Seems that everytime it needs a brake job the rotors are toast. I am a very easy driver on the vehicle. I paid 28,000 for it in 98, used with 12,000 miles. They don't hold their value that well because according to Edmond's it's only worth about 8,000 for trade.

Favorite Features

The 16 inch tires that cost less than the 17 inch tires. I like the rear zone heat and AC.

Suggested Improvements

The third seat should fold down. The sound system is weak and the center console CD broke after one year. The rear liftgate weights a ton and the latch is tempermental. Oh and cut the retail price in half.

Think twice b4 buying
By Just1person

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first truck and I have to say, if this is your first time driving, this is a great suv to learn on. The outside looks good but they need to make the inside a little less complex. Had some transmission problems that would cost more than I want to spend but it is a pretty good and comfortable truck.

Favorite Features

I love the handling on this truck. If done correctly, it will drive straight buy itself. It's not hard to drive, and I had a great time learning on this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Once you have more experience with trucks, you'll want something better. You might try giving expeditions more power in the engine or more lasting power so that after 5 years, you'll still get the same pick up as when you get it brand new.

Definately Ford Tough
By richard o

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive my Expedition like a truck. I had a liner constructed to fit the back end with the seats down & I haul everything! It tows our 2 horse trailer without a problem. I am a avid upland bird hunter & I find it to be the perfect vehicle in the field. Dogs & passengers travel in total comfort. Ford definately did things right with this model, the new ones are just big cars

Favorite Features

Large carrying capacity with seat down or up Rear heater is a blessing for wet dogs or cold kids. Best of all is the great visibility

Suggested Improvements

Basicly the only draw back is the gas mileage. However I was able to improve this some by installing a K&N air filter, regularly using a good injector cleaner, swithching to synthetic oil- just good basic maintanance 94,000 miles & still rolling

I love my truck
By K62cuby

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the truck in winter but winter in Charlotte NC is usually 40-60 degrees. I purchased the expedition because I am a steel sculptor, I don't like putting rusted steel in my acura. Well I thought that was the expedition was good for...wrong. Later on that month we had one of the worst ice storms in Charlotte history. While all the cars and 2wheel drive trucks were sliding all over the road me and a couple of hummers were doing just fine. The size and the power of the Expedition is its selling point, and I can't see why any one who has to deal with snow on a constant basis would have one. It is a great buy and I am glad I have it around.

Favorite Features

-The 5.4l Triton V8 -The leather seats -4X4!!! nuf said -Awsome paint job -Large ground clearence -Good sound system -Jaw dropping size

Suggested Improvements

Let me spell it out - G a s G u s s l e r A better ignition system, intake, and engine wiring would solve the gas problem.

Good Solid Reliable Truck
By DenisM

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition is easy to drive, comfy, roomy, smooth and reliable. The car has had no repairs except scheduled service. I tow, drag stumps, do mild off road, gobble up snow at least 26" deep with minimal resistance and it rides nice too.

Favorite Features

Smooth, roomy, comfy, feels safe, solid ride, visibility, versatile.

Suggested Improvements

Double the gas mileage.