Used 1998 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Spoiled by my Expedition...
By ladytrisha

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned several vehicles from fast, sporty cars such as a Firebird, a convertible Trans Am, and a convertible SS Camaro...down to an everyday grocery getter; you guessed it...the Ford Taurus. I've also owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel Lariat. I really loved that truck! I never thought I'd find another vehicle that I liked as well as our truck until I purchased my Expedition. I absolutely love it. It has that sporty look I love & all the room & comfort we could ask for. When we need the extra room in the back for hauling something large we just take out the third row seat. When our kids have friends over and we go somewhere we have plenty of room and seatbelts for everyone.

I love the sporty look. We use the third row seat a lot. I like the open roomy feel inside. I really like the bulky, stomper look that it has.

I think many features have been added for improvement in the newer models. The added DVD players for entertainment, digital temperature control, sunroofs, temperature & navigational display are complimentary and add to the appeal.

You get what you pay for
By Fairfax, VA

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Expedition with 60k miles and it's been reliable as sin. The only work done was on struts at 90k. 17" tires aren't cheap, and neither is gas at 13 mpg, but (if you ever studied physics) it's nice knowing that you have 2 1/2 tons of metal traveling at the same velocity and direction you are. Three kids, three dogs, and a lot of help moving friends stuff was no problem for this great SUV.

Well made, space, solid, space, reliable, did I mention space?

A built-in ladder for washing/waxing the roof. Air horns.

Best ca I ever owned.
By Daniel from S.A. TX

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I got this Expedition with 83k on it, now it has almost 200k and I am looking forward to 300k. Really comfy; we have looked at newer cars and just can't trade it away. Great car.

I can't believe the turning radius on this thing, it's better than in cars half its size! The leather seats are so comfy, nice ride, and still looks great even thought it's nearly 9 years old.

1998 Expedition XLT
By millerford

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv is a great starter vehicle. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased and being new to the driving world, being brought in with a 1998 Ford Expedition was the best way to enter. I have owned my Expo for a few months and it's been nothing but a joy. Even with the Triton 4.6 V-8 it still gets the job done and well I might add. I can haul all my friends around and not fret about their safety because this thing is so large. I have nothing but positive things to say about Ford and my truck. The only thing that doesn't work on my truck is the 6-disk CD changer due to a bad reader. Hmmm, this is a feature GM didn't offer back in '98; go figure, they're always behind on everything.

My favorite features would have to be the 6-disk CD changer, rear audio controls, over head console (storage outside temp. etc), steering wheel mounted cruise control (AWESOME FEATURE!) and plenty of power outlets. Oh and to all the people that want their rear audio turned off 3 and 5 on the radio.

My only suggestions (constructive criticism); bad idea to use the Explorer A/C and heating for rear passengers. Not a good idea for a vehicle its size; should always come with vents in the celling and not two little A/C vents on the back of the center console (above rear audio controls).

My Expedition
By Dave

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle for long term ownership and it has not disappointed. In 2005 we had to put about $1200 into some repairs, but that is about it for major repairs (the scheduled service at 60k was pretty expensive at about $700). Lots of room for 5 adults, never missed the way back seat.

With 17 inch wheels, this vehicle sits high enough for great visibility in traffic; feel pretty secure in this large vehicle, and feel great about the reliability.

Ford has used the same turn signal gear in an Aerostar as the Expedition. It fails in a peculiar way, but seems to right itself over time. Good thing, since it is very expensive. Child door locks in the rear lock themselves!