1998 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
As dependable as the come.
By Nancy K on 03/30/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Expedition in 2003, when I had six kids at home, pulling an animal trailer, living in North East. It had 73,000 miles. Now, 4 kids in college, still have trailer, now has 176,000 miles. Safe, secure, dependable. Starting to rust out from underneath, but keep maintaining 'cause I think it will last until 200,000. Safe? I rolled it in 2005 when a Jeep ran a stop sign. 4 kids and I crawled out sunroof. No one at all hurt. Teens drive it slower than they would a small car, and respect the power more. People still comment on what a sharp looking truck it is. Looks as good as the day I got it. I love my truck.

King of the pullers and hawlers
By Ken on 10/02/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle (new) to replace a 91 Chevy Suburban (which started falling apart after 65K miles). Its primary mission was to pull a 4000# boat and haul kids and hockey gear. It has been a great vehicle. It has been an everyday driver for my wife and she likes the automatic all wheel and four wheel drive features in the winter. I love it when I have 2 adults, 5 big teenage boys on board, full fuel, bags and pulling a boat easily at 70mph. Of course I don't look at the fuel computer because it is really depressing. But it gets the job done easly.

Great job
By niceandwild on 03/05/08 18:59 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition used with 32k. Just hit 100k. It has never failed me yet and given the fact that I am not the best at maintaining cars I love it. I have gone from Florida to New York several times and its great on long distance trips. Ford tough.

I love my Expedition
By Miss Mary on 08/04/07 19:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Expedition. It runs good, could have a little bit more power. It's a beautiful ride that I feel so safe in. It goes in the snow so great! It had high mileage when I bought it and at 148000 miles it is still going strong! I am the 2nd owner and the only thing I have had done to it is put new tires on it and a new alternator. But over all I would buy another Ford Expedition. My husband has been wanting me to trade my expedition in on another expedition or something else, and I say "No Way"! Buy a Ford Expedition you won't regret it, I promise.

Spoiled by my Expedition...
By ladytrisha on 07/24/06 06:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned several vehicles from fast, sporty cars such as a Firebird, a convertible Trans Am, and a convertible SS Camaro...down to an everyday grocery getter; you guessed it...the Ford Taurus. I've also owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel Lariat. I really loved that truck! I never thought I'd find another vehicle that I liked as well as our truck until I purchased my Expedition. I absolutely love it. It has that sporty look I love & all the room & comfort we could ask for. When we need the extra room in the back for hauling something large we just take out the third row seat. When our kids have friends over and we go somewhere we have plenty of room and seatbelts for everyone.

You get what you pay for
By Fairfax, VA on 06/30/06 20:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Expedition with 60k miles and it's been reliable as sin. The only work done was on struts at 90k. 17" tires aren't cheap, and neither is gas at 13 mpg, but (if you ever studied physics) it's nice knowing that you have 2 1/2 tons of metal traveling at the same velocity and direction you are. Three kids, three dogs, and a lot of help moving friends stuff was no problem for this great SUV.

Best ca I ever owned.
By Daniel from S.A. TX on 03/23/06 09:45 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I got this Expedition with 83k on it, now it has almost 200k and I am looking forward to 300k. Really comfy; we have looked at newer cars and just can't trade it away. Great car.

1998 Expedition XLT
By millerford on 03/10/06 18:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv is a great starter vehicle. This is the first vehicle I have ever purchased and being new to the driving world, being brought in with a 1998 Ford Expedition was the best way to enter. I have owned my Expo for a few months and it's been nothing but a joy. Even with the Triton 4.6 V-8 it still gets the job done and well I might add. I can haul all my friends around and not fret about their safety because this thing is so large. I have nothing but positive things to say about Ford and my truck. The only thing that doesn't work on my truck is the 6-disk CD changer due to a bad reader. Hmmm, this is a feature GM didn't offer back in '98; go figure, they're always behind on everything.

My Expedition
By Dave on 11/23/05 12:56 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this vehicle for long term ownership and it has not disappointed. In 2005 we had to put about $1200 into some repairs, but that is about it for major repairs (the scheduled service at 60k was pretty expensive at about $700). Lots of room for 5 adults, never missed the way back seat.

I'll Never Buy a Ford Again!
By Never by a Ford on 11/14/05 20:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Pretty good vehicle until you get to about 75,000 miles, then it falls apart. Transmission, oil cooler hoses, axle seals, driver lock switch, rear driver's side door window assembly (fell apart inside door), windshield washer switch (sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't), alternator.... (I wonder each day what will fail next). Gas mileage is terrible. I own a Suburban which is more powerful, refined, comfortable, and out tows the Ford hands down. Take my advice: If you want a domestic truck, buy a Chevy. If you want a reliable car, buy a Honda or Toyota. By the way, my Expedition is in the shop as I write this review!