Used 1998 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Built Ford Tough!
By charleston girl

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have been driving my Expedition for 11 years. It has 146,000 miles on it. I haul kids and my 3 dogs in it. It is the best vehicle Ihave ever owned. It is time to replace it and I am more than likely going to get another one! I recommend this vehicle highly. It has been in the shop very little. No major repairs... Was hit in the rear with 4 kids in my car not one scratch on anyone. The vehicle is like a Mack Truck. Very solid and sturdy. I feel very safe in this vehicle.

my suv
By sarah

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

My husband bought it for me for mothers day this year (09) and we love it so very much..Over 200,000 miles on her and still runs like a champ..With the exeption to the number 4 spark plug fouling. And it not being owner friendly on replacing it yourself..And its hard to find someone to fix it who doesnt want your first born for the price..lol..But other then the cost od up keep and crappy gas and the third row seat , love it and will get another when this one dies.Hope not for a few more years atleast.

I love the disc changer being hidden kinda..And i love having room ..And i love if my daughter has a spill , its so easy to clean and doesnt stain like cotton.

Third row seat , gas and the spark plug access.

Still Going Strong!
By Mary

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Ford Expedition 1998 is still going strong with over 191,000 miles. We have taken it on many family road trip and in over ten years we have had few problems with it. We do regular oil changes and check ups but not through the dealer. We used a service station with a guy we trusted to do all repairs. Our interior is really starting to show its age but the exterior looks great with little rust. I would recommend anyone buying this truck especially one that doesn't have lots of miles on it. The only problem I had was a transmission station missing a crack in the drive shaft transmission collar due to the 1998 Expedition has the two piece not integral piece in the newer models. Mary

We loved the four wheel drive and the flexibility to pop out the seat and haul stuff from shopping. We moved over 20,000 pounds on a local move to our new residence. We loved the trailer hitch and hauled our other vehicle across country. This saved us from having to pay to move the other vehicle.

If I had it to do over I would have purchased a different color than white with tan interior. The white really show the dirt and the interior is filthy with pets and children. Other than that I love it.

Tough and Reliable
By mepo2ner

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our Expedition used in 03 with 70,000 miles. It has been a fantastic vehicle for us. The versatility of taking eight people or hauling things has been great. It has just the 4.6 engine and I have put it though the mill. We haul a 5,500 lbs camper around each summer and I have a piano service business and move pianos all over the midwest in a 3,000 lbs enclosed trailer. This old girl now has 190,000 miles with no major breakdowns. It was our main family vehicle for 5 years and we couldn't have been happier with it.

Reliable, comfortable ride, versatility, looks great, the rear AC was awesome, turning radius. I always got about 17 mpg (about 9-10 with the trailers) but I wouldn't be driving a truck if I was concerned about gas mileage. 17 was pretty good.

Child locks always turned on by themselves. Sometimes transmission wouldn't downshift when towing uphill. CD Changer quit working.

Beastly Vehicle
By savage74012

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I could not be more thrilled with this vehicle. I bought it a year ago and it has never failed me yet. the interior room is amazing, and the luxury suspension provides a perfect ride. The 5.4L V-8 engine is extremely powerful, making the vehicle surprisingly fast. If you throw your foot into it, be prepared to be thrown back into your seat. I tend to drive it rather rough, but it never fails me when i need it. haven't had the chance to tow anything with it yet, but I'm confident it could handle most anything. The Shifting is also exceptionally smooth. The gas mileage is poor (average 12MPG) but keep in mind that this isn't meant to be an economy vehicle. My only regret is not getting the 4WD

The interior is amazing. I have tons of room to haul my friends around, and no one complains about sitting in the back because of the ample leg room. The sound system is also great. (I have the Mach Stereo System)

Most of it has already been fixed in later models, but my least favorite part is the rear end of the vehicle. It is very flat and rather ugly (in my opinion) however, the remainder of the SUV is beautiful. Overall a magnificent machine.