Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Best I've owned
By djcash2000

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle from 37000 miles till 112000 and this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. The only issues that I have had was the window dropped inside the door right after I bought it, but the dealership fixed it. Recently I had to put on an alternator. Otherwise I have only changed the oil. No plug changes, or anything. It has 2 wheel drive, all wheel drive and of course high and low 4 wheel drive. The truck has held up wonderfully and is just about as tight as when I bought it. I now have a 5000lb camper and the truck is rated to pull it. It just has too hard a time getting up to speed, even with the 5.4 titan.

Favorite Features

Drive systems. Leather seat, comfort, reliability. Mileage for a large suv. 18 highway.

97 expedition
By jeff vandeventer

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Great all around vehicle. Good power, excellent handling, good brakes, great comfort. The only down fall is less than great gas mileage, but it is not awful. Great traveling vehicle with excellent four wheel drive capablities.

Favorite Features

Favorite features of this vehicle would have to be styleing, gobs of interior room, and good towing ability.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and a little bit more power, neither are awful and kind or contridict each other, but every body needs a wish list hu.

love my expedition
By brandtgarrison3784

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i love my expedition. it is a fun vehicle to drive with a lot of power.

Good Solid Vehicle
By Shelli917

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had this vehicles for over 6 years and it has been a solid, reliable vehicle. The only thing that has ever gone wrong is that it needed a new alternator about a year ago and the rear differential sensor required replacement.

Favorite Features

Seats 8 comfortably, good ride for a truck-like vehicle. Tows heavy loads easily

Suggested Improvements

None for the type of vehicle it is!

Expedition 1997 XLT
By cyeack

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

The vehicle delivers what it promises - - loads of space, good handling, reasonable power and suprisingly good fuel economy (17 city, 20+ highway). Issues are easy to resolve, with spare parts readily available and the vehicle design maintence freindly.

Favorite Features

Visability & cargo space. With the rear seat removed and the middle seat down, the vehicle converts to a short bed pickup with a "cap".

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. The Rear Wheel horsepower is about 168HP. While the fuel economy is good, 168HP for a 281 cu. in engine is a bit embarrising.