Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

TRUTH ABOUT FORD'S
By JANRUS

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I'VE HAD THIS TRUCK FOR 18 MOS. EACH MONTH SUMTHING ELSE GOES WRONG. MOST RECENTLY THE TIE RODS, LASTTIME THE AIR COMPRESSOR FOR THE AIR RIDE. BEFORE THAT THE WINDSHEILD LEAKED AND FRIED SOME ELECTRONICS ( TO THE TUNE OF 1800.00). CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHATS NEXT. GUESS IT'S A GOOD THINGWE PUT LESS THAN 200 MI. A WEEK ON IT.

17 INCH WHEELS WITH 4WD FOR THE WINTER MONTHS AND THE STERIO WITH CD CHANGER.

MORE POWER AND MORE RELIABLE ELECTRONICS.

Ford Tough
By GO PACK!

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I am approaching 200,000 miles... as the saying goes, "takes a licking, keeps on ticking"... that's my Ford. Tough truck. I've put a few bucks into replacing parts here and there, but it's expected at 200K miles! I highly recommend this tank.

Cargo room galore! Spacey seats. Rear air/heat controls. CD changer.

Folding third row seat and better gas mileage.

Good SUV
By COramprat

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I have had my Expedition for 3 years now and haven't have any major problems. I bought it used with 67K miles and have just turned 140K. We have been from our home in south Louisiana to northern Tennessee and it is my wife daily driver to work. To date I have replaced the shift cable and recently have had some emissions problems but other than that it's a good vehicle.

The rear air is great. I like the 3rd seat since I have 4 kids but if you have a smaller family then the seat is in the way. It is generally comfortable on long trips. The 4.6 is a good engine if you don't tow heavy loads.

I like the new fold flat seats on the 2003+ but for now I'll stick with mine. Do-it-yourselfers will cuss the location of the #4 and #8 Spark-plugs so they could be made to reach easier.

Good/Bad
By Silat

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used w/33000 miles. Replaced engine at 107000. All kinds of minor electrical problems. Replaced heater core. Runs/rides great on highway. Snow no problem. Great visibility 360 degrees. Wife loves it.

Size w/visibility. Runs smooth. 5.4L moves it right along. Lots of room inside to stretch out on trips. Really is a pleasure to drive.

Hard to change headlights and plugs. Improve electrical system. Work on wind noise problems.

GOOD CAR