Used 1997 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Excellant
By Daveyy on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is soo much fun....I am a 16 year old who just loves my Expedition...I have the 5.4 L....that car can really take off...The only bummer is when you have 4x4 like my car the gas mileage isnt very good. Especially if you like to drive you car hard and fast. Well leather is crucial for important and it just adds that much the the comfort of the ride.

Great Car
By sdfasdfasdf on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Never a problem except the check engine light came on and the dealership kept saying it was a fuel pressure problem. Upon getting an emmissions test, the tester said the gas tank cap wasn't providing a complete seal (required by GA emmissions tests). The replaced cap solved the fuel pressure problem and the 'check engine' light turned off....

Feel like KING OF THE ROAD
By rice on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I had the truck since 1997 till now with 128808 miles on it. Have no trouble at all, Not a thing wrong. I feel like "King of the road" every time when I drive it. nothing more to say but a 10+++++

Built Ford rough
By The Man of La Mancha on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Replaced everything - shocks, brakes, about 5 windshield washer switches, 2 steering columns. And it still clicks in and out of 4 wheel drive and Ford will not help. Do yourself a favour - buy Japanese, forget sucker patriotism.

Engine Trouble
By pnewell on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

After spending $1,500 on three engine repairs before 90k miles, I am not happy with the reliablility of this vehicle.

Big Eddie
By L. Redden on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 97 Eddie Bauer Edition. Its never failed to start...unless it gets wet. The 5.4 pulls strong. I have had MORE than enough problems out of this SUV. Leaky sunroof, leaky windshield,the rack and pinion squeaks when turing, the "premium" stereo isnt premium,the amp for the rear sub no longer works, the AWD system engauges hard, the steering absolutely SUCKS, I have replaced the shocks, A arms on the front, brake rotors, window regulator, and my keyless entry/alarm doent work anymore, and a new rear wiper motor, my power mirros no longer work either. All these problems and ONLY 75K Ive always owned Honda products and never had any of these problems.

Used but not abused
By Gunny on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Expedition when it was nearly 4 years old and had 60K miles on it. I tow an 8,000lb trailer that's really a little too much for the truck, but I take it easy and the truck does fine. I got the hitch replaced as part of a recall and have regular maintenance done. The truck is a gem and I'll be disapointed to part with it when I finally do trade it in.

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
By yodabos on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Expedition, bought new in 1997, has been an overall excellent car. The only negative is the somewhat squirrely steering and the fact that it once scared me silly when I thought it was going to roll over when I had to make a sudden sideways move at night on the highway.

Out 'Utes Every Other SUV
By SkiMan on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My '97 Eddie Bauer has been on many an expedition. With 60k miles, it has had dealer tune-ups and oil changes - and never needed a part. With Michelin LTX M/S on the rig the chains have stayed in the bag. We ski no matter what the weather, and the Expedition has gotten us there safely every time. The big 5.4 liter V-8 will "haul" up the hill, or easily haul a boat in the summer. If you want to do it all with a SUV, winter or summer, this is the rig for you.

Great 4WD
By Reno, NV on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Almost has 100K and I've only had to replace the Alternator. Still have original battery. Also, I just did the 100K service, sprark plugs were pretty bad, it took me more than four hours to change. I would highly recommend this vehicle to any one looking at one.