Used 1997 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Very dependable
By kev

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I fell in love with the cornering, power and braking right away. Since I have had it I have put over 60,000 miles on it in a short time and have only had to replace the Alternator. Not sure why but I have had bad vibrations in it on the highways even after alignments, balancing, rotations and new tires. Also seems like it will fish tail easily in the rain if your not overly carefull. but over all the vehicle is strong running, very powerfull, takes tight corners and stops easily (for a heavy vehicle).

Take off power, Stopping, cornering and interior comfort.

Ford has already done this with the beautiful 03s and up.

Great overall
By travis

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm in the army so I drive long distances a lot along with living in a heavy snow state and pull several trailers. OK so it doesn't get the best gas mileage but how many of the people giving theirs a bad rating bought it for the mileage over the power and comfort you get out of it. I agree that the 3rd seat is bulky but it's great to have and it's easy enough to take out. I have the 5.4 triton and I've owned 2 GMC Jimmys, a Chevy 1500 350s, and a Dodge Ram and it outdoes them all by far. It has far more torque, towing power and I drive through fields a lot where I work pulling over twice its own weight and never been stuck yet. I would say it's the best vehicle in its class with out a doubt. Great!

The power it packs under the hood is far better than any other vehicle I've owned

Gas mileage, more storage room when third seat is in

97 Ex EB 4x4
By jfogle01

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, I've had this truck for just over 3 years now and have tickled pink since day one. Don't get me wrong, there have been a few issues such as having to replace 4 spark-pugs and their respective ignition coils (250 a pop really stinks for the coils!), 2 tires back in 06, and most recently had to replace the right head on the motor because the #5 plug blew out of the head damaging the head to the point that it could not be repaired - only replaced! Boy that was fun! Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better truck. Yes, fuel economy stinks. 11.6 m/g avg since I bought it, but I still love it. Just turned 150,000 and hope to get anothre 150,000 out of it, if not more!

Love the high ride height, 4wd works absolutely wonderfully, extremely comfortable inside in all of the seats, 5.4l pulls like a freight train.

Removal of that loud and vibrating air compressor/system, better quality leather on steering wheel.

Old Faithful
By dino

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have loved this vehicle. We bought it with 108k, have 165k now. With three kids it has worn well, but showing signs of age. Ultimately it has met its death with me due to "electrolysis", which is not uncommon in this line of Fords I understand - there is a grounding fault that develops and the current causes the antifreeze to corrode the heater core, which we have replaced 4 times now. The frequency keeps increasing so we are parting ways for another expedition. It tows our camper wonderfully.

Roomy size, reliability, time honored looks. The 97 design still looks good today.

Terrible gas mileage, but to be expected in a large powerful vehicle.

Great Family hauler/workhorse
By LeeB

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this truck for 8 years now, bought it used, 2 years old. Two major problems, transmission replaced at 100K miles, replaced injection system on 4 ofthe 8 cylinders (one at a time of course - this is a common problem with this engine). Has otherwise been a good reliable family and stuff hauler. It's become expensive (gas) to use as an everyday commuter, but we'll keep it as a part-time haul around vehicle.

Space, nice high seating position, good torque/power, comfortable. The cabin can be made really cold even on an August day in Florida.

11 MPG at $3.10 adds up real fast.

• SUV