1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Great truck!
By misskayla on 07/30/07 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my truck. It's a smooth ride, comfortable/roomy. I brought it in 2004 and it came without a CD changer, but I installed one in there. Could do better on gas. Considering I drive state to state, it's approching 135,000 miles and I never had a problem with it beside changing my oil and I did replace the alternator a year ago.

I enjoy my Expedition
By Bob on 06/19/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Getting this out of the way, yes, the gas mileage is terrible. Everything else about the Expedition I love. It's great on the highway filled with kids and luggage. Very comfortable ride and plenty of room. I also enjoy riding high up it gives you better visibility of the road.

Good Truck
By Bruce on 01/17/06 16:19 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

Bought the Expedition new in 1996, just after they came out; no major problems, but several recalls. The two problems I had included an engine oil leak, but Ford covered 75% of the repair; it seems there is a problem with the early 5.4L. There is a service bulletin on this. The other problem was the 4WD quit. A vacuum line had hit the manifold and melted, an easy fix once found. I have averaged 14.4 MPG so far, I record ever fill, so this is an accurate number. This includes a lot of trailer towing. Overall this has been a great vehicle.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Lorie on 08/30/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I LOVE my Expedition. Wish I could afford a new one. Would DEFINITELY buy another one (even used). No major problems in the 6 years I've owned it. Replaced the tires once. Highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a good, dependable, used car.

Still running good after 8 years
By Brian on 04/16/05 21:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle with 24K miles and have owned it for almost seven years. I currently have almost 140K miles and I have been very pleased. I originally purchased this car to tow a 5,000 lb. camper. I purchased the 5.4L engine with the tow package and lower rear end differential. The car tows well and also has a lot of space and comfort. It is great for family vacations as there is a lot of rear leg room for my teenage kids. I only have one knock and that is that the leather wore away on the steering wheel and drivers seat. I would recommend a steering wheel cover as well a seat covers to keep the interior looking fresh.

97 EB
By TEAM Inc. on 01/15/05 11:03 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 1996, approaching 200K. Overall reliable, engine leaks oil, 3 grand in repairs and dealer still can't figure it out. GREAT in snow, rain, sand! Lots of space for gear! Fuel economy poor, 12 /15 MPG. 5.4 liter is a must. Found it to be reasonably stable vehicle. Large tank means decent cruising range but filling up to the tune of $ 60.00 is not fun. Fortunately this is now a back up vehicle so miles and fuel are less. Overall this has been a good solid truck. As said in other reviews, it does take a licking and keep on ticking.

97 Eddie Bauer
By TEAM Inc. on 01/15/05 11:03 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 1996, approaching 200K. Overall reliable, engine leaks oil, 3 grand in repairs and dealer still can't figure it out. GREAT in snow, rain, sand. Lots of space for gear. Fuel economy poor, 12 /15 MPG. 5.4L is a must. Found it to be reasonably stable vehicle. Large tank means decent cruising range but filling up to the tune of $60.00 is not fun. Fortunately this is now a back up vehicle so miles and fuel are less. Overall this has been a good solid truck. As said in other reviews, it does take a licking and keep on ticking.

160K miles and still going strong!
By pillarcustom on 11/07/04 21:00 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Very little maintenance has occurred in 8 years of ownership. Great truck with only minor problems after 8 years and 160,000 miles of wear and tear. Locking systems has several problems and rear speaker is shot, but otherwise in great shape. Strongly recommend the 97' for purchase as a used vehicle.

5 years and still enjoying
By jagrant on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine in 1999 and have 105K miles. Traveled many times across the U.S. and total comfort. Only have replaced battery and brakes. I change the oil ever 3K miles. Steering is a little squirrely and feels like you could loose control at times. I will NOT let my 16 year old drive this vehicle. My friend rolled hers and it held up well. The electronic handpiece for turning signals and lights have been replaced twice. A little sluggish when passing or quick acceleration compared to my other GMC truck. Overall I can't get rid of it and hope to own it to at least 200K miles.

Good so far
By OxfordDawg on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We just purchased our 97 EB and drove it from SD to Mississippi. It drove great but got about 14 mpg at 75 mph. Smooth ride with lots of room. Take the 3rd seat out if you don't have a big family. Just too bulky to leave in. Lacks torque of Chevy engines. Opt for the 5.4L.