Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
By yodabos

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Expedition, bought new in 1997, has been an overall excellent car. The only negative is the somewhat squirrely steering and the fact that it once scared me silly when I thought it was going to roll over when I had to make a sudden sideways move at night on the highway.

Favorite Features

I like the size, and the fact that you are sitting up above the fray. You can see for miles--or at least it seems that way.

Suggested Improvements

The steering is the major flaw, and I hope that Ford has improved it in the new issue Expedition.

Great Family hauler/workhorse
By LeeB

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this truck for 8 years now, bought it used, 2 years old. Two major problems, transmission replaced at 100K miles, replaced injection system on 4 ofthe 8 cylinders (one at a time of course - this is a common problem with this engine). Has otherwise been a good reliable family and stuff hauler. It's become expensive (gas) to use as an everyday commuter, but we'll keep it as a part-time haul around vehicle.

Favorite Features

Space, nice high seating position, good torque/power, comfortable. The cabin can be made really cold even on an August day in Florida.

Suggested Improvements

11 MPG at $3.10 adds up real fast.

tran.sensors
By Mugs

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

factory tires lasted 28000 miles. Check engine light at 32K miles, had to replace transmission sensor pack ($350) although testing indicated nothing wrong with transmission. Check engine light again at 37K .... test indicates "smoke tube" needs replacing.

Favorite Features

Comfort, space, and versatility. I have hauled a small motorcycle inside the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

drivers side door handle presses directly on outside of drivers knee. On a long trip, very irritating.

Big Eddie
By L. Redden

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 97 Eddie Bauer Edition. Its never failed to start...unless it gets wet. The 5.4 pulls strong. I have had MORE than enough problems out of this SUV. Leaky sunroof, leaky windshield,the rack and pinion squeaks when turing, the "premium" stereo isnt premium,the amp for the rear sub no longer works, the AWD system engauges hard, the steering absolutely SUCKS, I have replaced the shocks, A arms on the front, brake rotors, window regulator, and my keyless entry/alarm doent work anymore, and a new rear wiper motor, my power mirros no longer work either. All these problems and ONLY 75K Ive always owned Honda products and never had any of these problems.

Favorite Features

the 5.4 liter V8 is smooth and has alot of torque. The big sunroof, when it isnt leaking.

Suggested Improvements

Ford says "Built Ford Tough", when it should be "Built Ford Rough"

Still running good after 8 years
By Brian

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle with 24K miles and have owned it for almost seven years. I currently have almost 140K miles and I have been very pleased. I originally purchased this car to tow a 5,000 lb. camper. I purchased the 5.4L engine with the tow package and lower rear end differential. The car tows well and also has a lot of space and comfort. It is great for family vacations as there is a lot of rear leg room for my teenage kids. I only have one knock and that is that the leather wore away on the steering wheel and drivers seat. I would recommend a steering wheel cover as well a seat covers to keep the interior looking fresh.

Favorite Features

Towing capability, engine power, reliability, comfort, stereo sound, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Better leather quality.