Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Update on our 1997 Expedition
By jessepatty

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I've written a review before on our Expedition and I shared it was getting close to 200K.. Well she finally went over the 200K mark and she's still a very reliable vehicle. I just want to share that with everyone.. This Expedition has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned... Thanks Ford! We appreciate not having to buy a new vehicle every couple years. Sure Saves us allot of money.

The pep and the ride...

Better quality glass.... Not sure if others have had this issue but we're on our second Windshield. Windshield gets so pitted that it chews up wipers all the time. None of our other Auto's do this...

As good as you could get
By Jerry

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Couldn't ask for more. Purchased in 1997 and felt like it helped raise the kids. The vehicle had heavy use. I used it plenty in 4 wheel drive in the snow in New Mexico. I pulled a boat for tens of thousands of miles in Texas and Oklahoma. I hauled kids daily and recently took to long distance weekly travel. It only failed to take me to my destination one time over 12.5 years and that was after it had 200,000 miles (the alternator failed.) At the risk of mixing metaphors, the truck ran "like a rock". Over 200k miles and major repairs were rare and related to "wear and tear" items - front-end, shocks, compressor. Going on 204,000 miles

Quiet, reliable, spacious, tow capacity, interior layout, paint, convenience,very cold air conditioning in Texas heat, stereo,

Mileage, acceleration, leather steering wheel and seat durability

Best "car" we ever owned!
By f in pa

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

First vehicle we ever purchased new. EXCELLENT performance; never had any problems except factory recalls for cruise control and torque on wheels - all taken care of at no cost. Comfortable, safe, and reliable. Even though gas mileage is approx. 14 mpg around town, get about 22 on the highway. Our old Toyota Camry got about 18 mpg around town - this truck beats it in storage, comfort, and safety! For a couple hundred dollars extra in fuel costs, it's cheap life insurance!! Will definitely purchase another Ford when this one wears out! But it's built so well - no squeaks or rattles - doubt it ever will. Oh, it's a 2WD with posi-traction and we pass 4WD's in the snow!

Comfortable seats - drove to Florida and felt relaxed, safe, sit up high, smooth ride, reliable. Also like the standard cloth seats - cool in summer and warm in winter.

None that we can think of. We bought the XLT with 2WD and the only option was the limited slip differential (posi-traction) and we never got stuck in the ice or snow on our hilly Pennsylvania roads.

Awesome Rig
By countryboy7879

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this thing Tons of torque, good offroad, will pull anything, and is comfy. Yeah, it does drink fuel like there's no tomorrow, but it's fun to drive, and it's by far one of the more macho SUV's on the road. I take it to an off road park almost every weekend and it can follow any of the "trail rated" jeeps that are half its size. I've also towed in excess of 10,000lbs, and other then the rear suspension being maxed the motor and trans didn't mind it one bit.

Torque, truck like abiltys, off road capabiltys, towing, ground clearance, general build quality

Mileage could be a lil better, and leafs would be awesome in back instead of coils

Best Ford SUV
By TheMan2323

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my car for a about a week and love it. It is a little better than the base xlt because it has new shocks, suspension, new(upgraded) transmition, and towing package. Makes me feel important and safe while driving. The car has 166,000 miles but fells like it will run forever. The only issue i have had is getting the emitions checked, for some reason the car wont start if they have the OBD cord plugged in.

Size, Ride, Performance.

Improve the back windshield wiper motor, most expeditions have a problem with this.