1997 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1997 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

Best "car" we ever owned!
By f in pa

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

First vehicle we ever purchased new. EXCELLENT performance; never had any problems except factory recalls for cruise control and torque on wheels - all taken care of at no cost. Comfortable, safe, and reliable. Even though gas mileage is approx. 14 mpg around town, get about 22 on the highway. Our old Toyota Camry got about 18 mpg around town - this truck beats it in storage, comfort, and safety! For a couple hundred dollars extra in fuel costs, it's cheap life insurance!! Will definitely purchase another Ford when this one wears out! But it's built so well - no squeaks or rattles - doubt it ever will. Oh, it's a 2WD with posi-traction and we pass 4WD's in the snow!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats - drove to Florida and felt relaxed, safe, sit up high, smooth ride, reliable. Also like the standard cloth seats - cool in summer and warm in winter.

Suggested Improvements

None that we can think of. We bought the XLT with 2WD and the only option was the limited slip differential (posi-traction) and we never got stuck in the ice or snow on our hilly Pennsylvania roads.

Awesome Rig
By countryboy7879

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this thing Tons of torque, good offroad, will pull anything, and is comfy. Yeah, it does drink fuel like there's no tomorrow, but it's fun to drive, and it's by far one of the more macho SUV's on the road. I take it to an off road park almost every weekend and it can follow any of the "trail rated" jeeps that are half its size. I've also towed in excess of 10,000lbs, and other then the rear suspension being maxed the motor and trans didn't mind it one bit.

Favorite Features

Torque, truck like abiltys, off road capabiltys, towing, ground clearance, general build quality

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be a lil better, and leafs would be awesome in back instead of coils

Best Ford SUV
By TheMan2323

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my car for a about a week and love it. It is a little better than the base xlt because it has new shocks, suspension, new(upgraded) transmition, and towing package. Makes me feel important and safe while driving. The car has 166,000 miles but fells like it will run forever. The only issue i have had is getting the emitions checked, for some reason the car wont start if they have the OBD cord plugged in.

Favorite Features

Size, Ride, Performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the back windshield wiper motor, most expeditions have a problem with this.

Very dependable
By kev

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I fell in love with the cornering, power and braking right away. Since I have had it I have put over 60,000 miles on it in a short time and have only had to replace the Alternator. Not sure why but I have had bad vibrations in it on the highways even after alignments, balancing, rotations and new tires. Also seems like it will fish tail easily in the rain if your not overly carefull. but over all the vehicle is strong running, very powerfull, takes tight corners and stops easily (for a heavy vehicle).

Favorite Features

Take off power, Stopping, cornering and interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has already done this with the beautiful 03s and up.

Great overall
By travis

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm in the army so I drive long distances a lot along with living in a heavy snow state and pull several trailers. OK so it doesn't get the best gas mileage but how many of the people giving theirs a bad rating bought it for the mileage over the power and comfort you get out of it. I agree that the 3rd seat is bulky but it's great to have and it's easy enough to take out. I have the 5.4 triton and I've owned 2 GMC Jimmys, a Chevy 1500 350s, and a Dodge Ram and it outdoes them all by far. It has far more torque, towing power and I drive through fields a lot where I work pulling over twice its own weight and never been stuck yet. I would say it's the best vehicle in its class with out a doubt. Great!

Favorite Features

The power it packs under the hood is far better than any other vehicle I've owned

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, more storage room when third seat is in

97 Ex EB 4x4
By jfogle01

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, I've had this truck for just over 3 years now and have tickled pink since day one. Don't get me wrong, there have been a few issues such as having to replace 4 spark-pugs and their respective ignition coils (250 a pop really stinks for the coils!), 2 tires back in 06, and most recently had to replace the right head on the motor because the #5 plug blew out of the head damaging the head to the point that it could not be repaired - only replaced! Boy that was fun! Other than that, I couldn't ask for a better truck. Yes, fuel economy stinks. 11.6 m/g avg since I bought it, but I still love it. Just turned 150,000 and hope to get anothre 150,000 out of it, if not more!

Favorite Features

Love the high ride height, 4wd works absolutely wonderfully, extremely comfortable inside in all of the seats, 5.4l pulls like a freight train.

Suggested Improvements

Removal of that loud and vibrating air compressor/system, better quality leather on steering wheel.

Old Faithful
By dino

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have loved this vehicle. We bought it with 108k, have 165k now. With three kids it has worn well, but showing signs of age. Ultimately it has met its death with me due to "electrolysis", which is not uncommon in this line of Fords I understand - there is a grounding fault that develops and the current causes the antifreeze to corrode the heater core, which we have replaced 4 times now. The frequency keeps increasing so we are parting ways for another expedition. It tows our camper wonderfully.

Favorite Features

Roomy size, reliability, time honored looks. The 97 design still looks good today.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible gas mileage, but to be expected in a large powerful vehicle.

Great Family hauler/workhorse
By LeeB

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this truck for 8 years now, bought it used, 2 years old. Two major problems, transmission replaced at 100K miles, replaced injection system on 4 ofthe 8 cylinders (one at a time of course - this is a common problem with this engine). Has otherwise been a good reliable family and stuff hauler. It's become expensive (gas) to use as an everyday commuter, but we'll keep it as a part-time haul around vehicle.

Favorite Features

Space, nice high seating position, good torque/power, comfortable. The cabin can be made really cold even on an August day in Florida.

Suggested Improvements

11 MPG at $3.10 adds up real fast.

Great 97 SUV
By Exp Fan

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 99 with 24k and now have 154k. great vehicle with only normal maintenance until replaced ball joints recently. Great comfort and tons of space. Use as a small pickup sometimes when I need to haul something. Paint on roof though not visible from the ground has deteriorated but the rest of the paint is good especially for spending 4 years in Buffalo winters and the rest in WV.

Favorite Features

Size, comfort and 15 mpg good for a large SUV. 4.6L OK but probably would not be a good for towing

Suggested Improvements

Tougher leather seats. 17" wheels std. Have 16 and 17 looks much better.

Great
By Family

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my suv in 2003. Love it! I have only had one major problem with it when I blew the spark plug out of the head (kind of costly) but well worth it. Having a big family I will stick with my Expedition for as long as I can.. even with high gas prices it is still a very safe suv for my children.

Favorite Features

Love the room and the way it handles in all weather conditions..

Suggested Improvements

Make third row more accessible and a little more room behind third row.