Used 1997 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

14 years of driving
By objr

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought her when my second son was born, traded in the 4 Runner.
Towed the boat many miles and slept in the back camping many days.
Snow, mud, rain did not slow her down.
No major maintenance issues beyond a stuck shifter, compressor and alternator.
Approaching 200,000, hot in winter, cold in summer.
in a foot of snow and pulling a hill, nothing can stop her.
I wanted to jump on the Obama $4,500 clunker deal but I couldn't bring myself to dumping her, they were going to seize her engine.
It would be like putting my dog down, could not do it.
I will drive her until she dies which will probably be around 280,000 to 300,000 miles.

Large cargo space and plenty of room for seating. Load leveling suspension is huge, heavy tongue weight is erased once you start her engine. A/C is amazing. I did a 800 mile trek this summer in 103 degree head pulling hills half the time, cabin stayed cool as did her engine.

That 3rd row seat could be a bit easier to use. It is heavy and awkward so you gotta be careful. Also, 3rd row has zero head rests. Not good if you get rear ended, heads will pop off. More powerful headlights would be nice, I drive in high beam full time now, never get flashed. With regular gas hitting $4.00 very soon my average of 13.5 MPG is a punch to the throat.

My Expedition
By innersouls

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition gets me 20 mpg on the freeway and still around 15 - 16 mpg in town. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned

interior and the ride

Better gas
By justin

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my exp in June. I like it a lot. It has 220,000 miles in it it is a very good SUV. I like it a lot safe for my kids but I got spark plugs done. It gets good gas now like 16 miles a gal.

room

ext man need to be stronger

254,000+ Miles and it's still going!
By Not a Ford Guy

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 in 2000 with about 100K miles already on it. I was leery because the first year Exped had already developed a notorious reliability reputation, but the price was so good I couldn't resist. At the time it was a good looking truck (and still isn't bad, after all these years) and gas was "cheap." Well, we've broken 250K miles and have only sunk about $2500 in 10 years into actual repairs, not including "consumables" of course. The small 4.6 L V8, which underpowered for such a large vehicle, still holds its own and still gets 14+ MPG in mixed driving -- and EVERYTHING still works (all electrical, power, transmission, 4WD, etc)! Color me impressed!

The Brontosaurus of SUVs. Takes a licking and keeps on puttering. Never met a gas station it didn't like. Runs over every Prius it sees with a wry smile. Commanding road view. Has the clearance of an Olympic pole vaulter. A billion of them on the road.

They likely made all of the necessary or desired improvements in subsequent years on subsequent models -- 14 model years later what would be the point?

The Big Blue Beast
By ZZebbeddiahh

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for as long as I can remember, and it has only needed regular repair. The 5.4L could pull Chuck Norris in half if it had to. I tow snowmobiles every weekend for four months of every year in harsh MN winters, and I have done all of it in my 97. Nothing compares in power and comfort, and I would look to buy another one if this one dies

5.4L engine, extremely sturdy front and rear bumpers (hit a deer at 80 last year, only a small dent), hauling capacity, steel rims

17" rims, "Check Engine" light seems to come on an awful lot