1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
417000 Miles and still Going!!!!!
By cedric626 on 08/04/13 06:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have a 1997 Ford Expedition that I purchase in 2000. The only maintenance that I have had done to the engine is the sprark blugs and coil paks. I am repainting it and putting it back on the road after seating for a year. I am trying to find out what is the record for miles on this 4.6 engine.

Update on our 1997 Expedition
By jessepatty on 12/21/09 20:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I've written a review before on our Expedition and I shared it was getting close to 200K.. Well she finally went over the 200K mark and she's still a very reliable vehicle. I just want to share that with everyone.. This Expedition has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned... Thanks Ford! We appreciate not having to buy a new vehicle every couple years. Sure Saves us allot of money.

Best "car" we ever owned!
By f in pa on 12/13/09 12:01 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

First vehicle we ever purchased new. EXCELLENT performance; never had any problems except factory recalls for cruise control and torque on wheels - all taken care of at no cost. Comfortable, safe, and reliable. Even though gas mileage is approx. 14 mpg around town, get about 22 on the highway. Our old Toyota Camry got about 18 mpg around town - this truck beats it in storage, comfort, and safety! For a couple hundred dollars extra in fuel costs, it's cheap life insurance!! Will definitely purchase another Ford when this one wears out! But it's built so well - no squeaks or rattles - doubt it ever will. Oh, it's a 2WD with posi-traction and we pass 4WD's in the snow!

Very dependable
By kev on 06/10/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I fell in love with the cornering, power and braking right away. Since I have had it I have put over 60,000 miles on it in a short time and have only had to replace the Alternator. Not sure why but I have had bad vibrations in it on the highways even after alignments, balancing, rotations and new tires. Also seems like it will fish tail easily in the rain if your not overly carefull. but over all the vehicle is strong running, very powerfull, takes tight corners and stops easily (for a heavy vehicle).

Good Truck
By Bruce on 01/17/06 16:19 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought the Expedition new in 1996, just after they came out; no major problems, but several recalls. The two problems I had included an engine oil leak, but Ford covered 75% of the repair; it seems there is a problem with the early 5.4L. There is a service bulletin on this. The other problem was the 4WD quit. A vacuum line had hit the manifold and melted, an easy fix once found. I have averaged 14.4 MPG so far, I record ever fill, so this is an accurate number. This includes a lot of trailer towing. Overall this has been a great vehicle.

Good SUV
By COramprat on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have had my Expedition for 3 years now and haven't have any major problems. I bought it used with 67K miles and have just turned 140K. We have been from our home in south Louisiana to northern Tennessee and it is my wife daily driver to work. To date I have replaced the shift cable and recently have had some emissions problems but other than that it's a good vehicle.

GOOD CAR
By FRANKITO on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

GREAT CAR, EASY TO HANDLE

Expedition 1997 XLT
By cyeack on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

The vehicle delivers what it promises - - loads of space, good handling, reasonable power and suprisingly good fuel economy (17 city, 20+ highway). Issues are easy to resolve, with spare parts readily available and the vehicle design maintence freindly.

Great Value
By simbaor on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have enjoyed owning my Ford Expedition for 6 years. It has served the needs of my family and has given us no trouble at all. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Very Satisfied
By andrewtx on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle new and have been very satisfied. We travel quite a bit (with 2 kids) and it is very comfortable on long trips. We've used it to tow trailers and several occasions and had no problems. Only complaint is that the power door locks would quit working periodically. After trying to get Ford to fix them several times, I gave up and just started buying boxfuls of fuses and replace the fuse when the locks go out. No big deal. Only work done was brakes, tires and regular maintenace for > 100,000 miles