Used 1997 Ford Expedition XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

417000 Miles and still Going!!!!!
By cedric626

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have a 1997 Ford Expedition that I purchase in 2000. The only maintenance that I have had done to the engine is the sprark blugs and coil paks. I am repainting it and putting it back on the road after seating for a year. I am trying to find out what is the record for miles on this 4.6 engine.

Favorite Features

Great vehicle for traveling. Plenty of space and very comfortable.

Update on our 1997 Expedition
By jessepatty

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I've written a review before on our Expedition and I shared it was getting close to 200K.. Well she finally went over the 200K mark and she's still a very reliable vehicle. I just want to share that with everyone.. This Expedition has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned... Thanks Ford! We appreciate not having to buy a new vehicle every couple years. Sure Saves us allot of money.

Favorite Features

The pep and the ride...

Suggested Improvements

Better quality glass.... Not sure if others have had this issue but we're on our second Windshield. Windshield gets so pitted that it chews up wipers all the time. None of our other Auto's do this...

Best "car" we ever owned!
By f in pa

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

First vehicle we ever purchased new. EXCELLENT performance; never had any problems except factory recalls for cruise control and torque on wheels - all taken care of at no cost. Comfortable, safe, and reliable. Even though gas mileage is approx. 14 mpg around town, get about 22 on the highway. Our old Toyota Camry got about 18 mpg around town - this truck beats it in storage, comfort, and safety! For a couple hundred dollars extra in fuel costs, it's cheap life insurance!! Will definitely purchase another Ford when this one wears out! But it's built so well - no squeaks or rattles - doubt it ever will. Oh, it's a 2WD with posi-traction and we pass 4WD's in the snow!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats - drove to Florida and felt relaxed, safe, sit up high, smooth ride, reliable. Also like the standard cloth seats - cool in summer and warm in winter.

Suggested Improvements

None that we can think of. We bought the XLT with 2WD and the only option was the limited slip differential (posi-traction) and we never got stuck in the ice or snow on our hilly Pennsylvania roads.

Very dependable
By kev

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I fell in love with the cornering, power and braking right away. Since I have had it I have put over 60,000 miles on it in a short time and have only had to replace the Alternator. Not sure why but I have had bad vibrations in it on the highways even after alignments, balancing, rotations and new tires. Also seems like it will fish tail easily in the rain if your not overly carefull. but over all the vehicle is strong running, very powerfull, takes tight corners and stops easily (for a heavy vehicle).

Favorite Features

Take off power, Stopping, cornering and interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has already done this with the beautiful 03s and up.

Good Truck
By Bruce

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought the Expedition new in 1996, just after they came out; no major problems, but several recalls. The two problems I had included an engine oil leak, but Ford covered 75% of the repair; it seems there is a problem with the early 5.4L. There is a service bulletin on this. The other problem was the 4WD quit. A vacuum line had hit the manifold and melted, an easy fix once found. I have averaged 14.4 MPG so far, I record ever fill, so this is an accurate number. This includes a lot of trailer towing. Overall this has been a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Great vehicle for over the road drives well and lots of room, handles trailers very well. Also works good in snow and off-road.

Suggested Improvements

Trim pieces on the exterior around windows oxidize and don't clean up. Would like to be able to get a manual tranny.