Used 1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
333,000+ and still goin hard!
By chrischris71 on 01/01/13 21:19 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought this truck at 300,000 miles with a cracked radiator. Only real maintenance done to this truck is a new radiator, new alternator, one new coil pack, and some gaskets and seals. Before we started playing around with it it got about 17 city 20-25 highway. After putting a 2.5 inch suspension and 2.5 inch body lift its down to about 10 city and 15-17 highway. Mine is actually the 5.4L Triton V8. Soon the driver side A-frame will need replacing and the passenger side rotor needs to be replaced.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Lorie on 08/30/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I LOVE my Expedition. Wish I could afford a new one. Would DEFINITELY buy another one (even used). No major problems in the 6 years I've owned it. Replaced the tires once. Highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a good, dependable, used car.

Still running good after 8 years
By Brian on 04/16/05 21:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle with 24K miles and have owned it for almost seven years. I currently have almost 140K miles and I have been very pleased. I originally purchased this car to tow a 5,000 lb. camper. I purchased the 5.4L engine with the tow package and lower rear end differential. The car tows well and also has a lot of space and comfort. It is great for family vacations as there is a lot of rear leg room for my teenage kids. I only have one knock and that is that the leather wore away on the steering wheel and drivers seat. I would recommend a steering wheel cover as well a seat covers to keep the interior looking fresh.

160K miles and still going strong!
By pillarcustom on 11/07/04 21:00 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Very little maintenance has occurred in 8 years of ownership. Great truck with only minor problems after 8 years and 160,000 miles of wear and tear. Locking systems has several problems and rear speaker is shot, but otherwise in great shape. Strongly recommend the 97' for purchase as a used vehicle.

97 expedition
By jeff vandeventer on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Great all around vehicle. Good power, excellent handling, good brakes, great comfort. The only down fall is less than great gas mileage, but it is not awful. Great traveling vehicle with excellent four wheel drive capablities.

tran.sensors
By Mugs on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

factory tires lasted 28000 miles. Check engine light at 32K miles, had to replace transmission sensor pack ($350) although testing indicated nothing wrong with transmission. Check engine light again at 37K .... test indicates "smoke tube" needs replacing.

Love My Expedition
By Jason Myers on 03/22/02 17:45 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought mine back in 97 when they 1st came out and from the time I took it home I feel in love, it very reliable NEVER got stuck out in the cold I have drove to Detriot,MI 3 times and with 12' of snow on the ground and this SUV took it like a pro. I like how roomy it is with lost of head room and extra space for friends or cargo I also like how versitile it is when you want to make changes to the exterior all I can say is this is a one of a kind suv.

Can't wait for the 2003 model!
By cobbed,man on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

This has been a good family vehicle.