Used 1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

333,000+ and still goin hard!
By chrischris71

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought this truck at 300,000 miles with a cracked radiator. Only real maintenance done to this truck is a new radiator, new alternator, one new coil pack, and some gaskets and seals. Before we started playing around with it it got about 17 city 20-25 highway. After putting a 2.5 inch suspension and 2.5 inch body lift its down to about 10 city and 15-17 highway. Mine is actually the 5.4L Triton V8. Soon the driver side A-frame will need replacing and the passenger side rotor needs to be replaced.

Power, reliability, comfort, and fun

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Lorie

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I LOVE my Expedition. Wish I could afford a new one. Would DEFINITELY buy another one (even used). No major problems in the 6 years I've owned it. Replaced the tires once. Highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a good, dependable, used car.

Smooth ride, lots of interior room, great sound system

Still running good after 8 years
By Brian

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle with 24K miles and have owned it for almost seven years. I currently have almost 140K miles and I have been very pleased. I originally purchased this car to tow a 5,000 lb. camper. I purchased the 5.4L engine with the tow package and lower rear end differential. The car tows well and also has a lot of space and comfort. It is great for family vacations as there is a lot of rear leg room for my teenage kids. I only have one knock and that is that the leather wore away on the steering wheel and drivers seat. I would recommend a steering wheel cover as well a seat covers to keep the interior looking fresh.

Towing capability, engine power, reliability, comfort, stereo sound, interior room.

Better leather quality.

160K miles and still going strong!
By pillarcustom

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Very little maintenance has occurred in 8 years of ownership. Great truck with only minor problems after 8 years and 160,000 miles of wear and tear. Locking systems has several problems and rear speaker is shot, but otherwise in great shape. Strongly recommend the 97' for purchase as a used vehicle.

Very comfortable "cockpit". Ideal for those with large frames.

Dash is very plain and the new 2005 models haven't improved all that much. Of course, with all large SUVs the engine sucks gas. I've averaged 13 miles per gallon over the life of the vehicle so far.

97 expedition
By jeff vandeventer

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Great all around vehicle. Good power, excellent handling, good brakes, great comfort. The only down fall is less than great gas mileage, but it is not awful. Great traveling vehicle with excellent four wheel drive capablities.

Favorite features of this vehicle would have to be styleing, gobs of interior room, and good towing ability.

Better gas mileage and a little bit more power, neither are awful and kind or contridict each other, but every body needs a wish list hu.