Used 1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Expedition

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Old Faithful with 200,000 miles
By adeanhobdy

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The car that doesn't die. If you want reliability, this car doesn't get the props it deserves. It keeps going. We bought the car in 2011. After purchasing it, we realized that it hadn't had regular maintenance. Had never even had a tuneup and had the original spark plugs. We were a little worried but it has never given us one problem. We even took it climbing a few times and it faired well. The one con is that it doesn't have the power I would like. We don't feel comfortable pulling our 25 foot trailer with it. We solved that by recently purchasing the Excursion. Hope the Excursion will be as reliable as the Expedition

Favorite Features

Leather and power seats

Suggested Improvements

More power

417000 Miles and still Going!!!!!
By cedric626

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV

I have a 1997 Ford Expedition that I purchase in 2000. The only maintenance that I have had done to the engine is the sprark blugs and coil paks. I am repainting it and putting it back on the road after seating for a year. I am trying to find out what is the record for miles on this 4.6 engine.

Favorite Features

Great vehicle for traveling. Plenty of space and very comfortable.

333,000+ and still goin hard!
By chrischris71

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought this truck at 300,000 miles with a cracked radiator. Only real maintenance done to this truck is a new radiator, new alternator, one new coil pack, and some gaskets and seals. Before we started playing around with it it got about 17 city 20-25 highway. After putting a 2.5 inch suspension and 2.5 inch body lift its down to about 10 city and 15-17 highway. Mine is actually the 5.4L Triton V8. Soon the driver side A-frame will need replacing and the passenger side rotor needs to be replaced.

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, comfort, and fun

14 years of driving
By objr

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought her when my second son was born, traded in the 4 Runner. Towed the boat many miles and slept in the back camping many days. Snow, mud, rain did not slow her down. No major maintenance issues beyond a stuck shifter, compressor and alternator. Approaching 200,000, hot in winter, cold in summer. in a foot of snow and pulling a hill, nothing can stop her. I wanted to jump on the Obama $4,500 clunker deal but I couldn't bring myself to dumping her, they were going to seize her engine. It would be like putting my dog down, could not do it. I will drive her until she dies which will probably be around 280,000 to 300,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Large cargo space and plenty of room for seating. Load leveling suspension is huge, heavy tongue weight is erased once you start her engine. A/C is amazing. I did a 800 mile trek this summer in 103 degree head pulling hills half the time, cabin stayed cool as did her engine.

Suggested Improvements

That 3rd row seat could be a bit easier to use. It is heavy and awkward so you gotta be careful. Also, 3rd row has zero head rests. Not good if you get rear ended, heads will pop off. More powerful headlights would be nice, I drive in high beam full time now, never get flashed. With regular gas hitting $4.00 very soon my average of 13.5 MPG is a punch to the throat.

My Expedition
By innersouls

1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition gets me 20 mpg on the freeway and still around 15 - 16 mpg in town. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned

Favorite Features

interior and the ride