Used 2009 Ford Expedition EL Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Expedition-el - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition EL model:

Great family vehicle
By Brett Rowley

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

With 3 children (12, 9, 5) and quite a few long driving vacations, we spend quite a bit of time in the Expedition EL. I cannot say enough good things about it. We previously bought my wife a Honda Pilot, but almost immediately sold it and purchased the Expedition EL. The Pilot was a great SUV, but simply not big enough or comfortable enough for a large family and long trips. The overall interior comfort is outstanding, the audio/nav/touch screen technology is impressive, and the fuel economy is better than expected. We live in a rural area and spend no time sitting in traffic. Having said that, we average 17.5 miles in mixed use and 20 miles/gallon on the highway.

Favorite Features

The front seats, 2nd row captain's chairs and 3rd row bench are all very comfortable. The audio/nav/touch screen technology is very intuitive and on par with the technology in my Infinity M35. The turning radius is impressive for such a large vehicle. Dependability has been excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The 2nd row captain's chairs need the ability to move forward/backward. The gear shifter feels flimsy. Ford does not offer a floor mat option that covers the center area between the 2nd row captain's chairs. This results in a very dirty section of floor between the 2nd and 3rd row floor mats.

All Good
By John

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

The Japanese and Germans only wish they could could build this. I drove the Toyota Sequoia and Mercedes GL and neather of them were even close. I can get 20mpg if I keep my foot out of it, not bad for a vehicle of this size. I have had four Expeditions since 1998 and they have all been great and only get better. I travel a lot with my family and everyone is always comfortable. I recently put 10,000 miles on it in one month and never got out of it feeling sore, thats a quality vehicle. I haven't been near the dealership with this Expedition except to look for a new truck.

Favorite Features

You have to love the A/C seats on a hot day and the heated seats after a stressful day at work. The DVD is great for the kids on a long trip. My wife loves the navigation around town. Memory seats are great when you have multiple drivers.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better gas mileage, but thats hard to do on a vehicle thats this big and of this quality. Size and quality and both add weight.