Used 2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition EL model:

Good for towing
By bcmichael

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this truck to tow our boat and travel trailer. Overall it is a very capable tow vehicle, the extended wheelbase and weight help ensure a stable ride when towing large trailers. The ride is very comfortable, so this is a good vehicle for long road trips. There is a ton of interior space, plenty of room for people and luggage. When both rows of passengers seats are folded flat you can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood/drywall flat on the floor with no problem. Gas mileage is what I expected for a vehicle this size, love the FlexFuel option as we are in the midwest and E85 is usually much cheaper than gasoline.

Heated/cooled leather seats Sync Interior capacity Towing capacity FlexFuel

Ford markets this as a tow vehicle but fails to provide a telescoping trailer tow mirror option for it. The standard mirrors just aren't enough when towing wide trailers. I had to buy mirror extensions, would much prefer to have telescoping mirrors like the F-series trucks. Ford should also offer a diesel engine option for this truck. The PowerStroke V8 would probably be overkill, but a 6 cylinder diesel would get great (relatively) gas mileage, making this an excellent tow vehicle.

Good looks, but needs improvement
By digerati

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

The design of the vehicle inside and out are great and have a "tough" look and feel to it. There's lots of room, comfortable, and quiet inside. The power running boards integrates to the Expedition nicely, unlike the GM SUVs with the feature, which leaves unsightly gaps, unlike the Ford. Great comfort for all 8 seats. Plus the SYNC was easy to use. Build quality can be improved however. SYNC radio won't turn on using the power button, heated/cooled seats won't leave on, rear air suspension is noisy and vibrates, the power driver's seat rocks back and forth slightly, plastic chips and wood quality on steering wheel not good, chrome wheels has tarnish that was impossible to remove, etc.

SYNC, power running boards, all roomy seats, cooled seats, quietness, foldable shelf in cargo area of EL models. However, the engine needs more pick up for passing on the highway...

Make front mud flaps compatible with power running boards, improve the plastic quality as well as the wood quality of the steering wheel, improve the chrome quality of the 20" wheels, make the rear air suspension quieter and vibration free, improve the smooth engagement of control-trac 4x4 in auto

The Best Full-Size Car
By Jason

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is the best large SUV you can buy. For one the expedition el seems to have more interior space than the suburban, yukon xl , or the escalade esv. One other thing is that the ford feels more like a truck(which I like because I good off-road).

Dvd, 4x4, Sync, Power folding 3rd row.

Make the shifter stronger o it doesn't feel so cheap, otherwise its a comfort, durable SUV.

Great family vehicle
By Brett Rowley

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

With 3 children (12, 9, 5) and quite a few long driving vacations, we spend quite a bit of time in the Expedition EL. I cannot say enough good things about it. We previously bought my wife a Honda Pilot, but almost immediately sold it and purchased the Expedition EL. The Pilot was a great SUV, but simply not big enough or comfortable enough for a large family and long trips. The overall interior comfort is outstanding, the audio/nav/touch screen technology is impressive, and the fuel economy is better than expected. We live in a rural area and spend no time sitting in traffic. Having said that, we average 17.5 miles in mixed use and 20 miles/gallon on the highway.

The front seats, 2nd row captain's chairs and 3rd row bench are all very comfortable. The audio/nav/touch screen technology is very intuitive and on par with the technology in my Infinity M35. The turning radius is impressive for such a large vehicle. Dependability has been excellent.

The 2nd row captain's chairs need the ability to move forward/backward. The gear shifter feels flimsy. Ford does not offer a floor mat option that covers the center area between the 2nd row captain's chairs. This results in a very dirty section of floor between the 2nd and 3rd row floor mats.

Excellent vehicle
By only1Moore

2009 Ford Expedition EL SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought the 2009 Expedition EL XLT 4x4 and it lived up to my expectations of what a large-size SUV should feel and look like. This is my first SUV and my first vehicle that I have ever bought in my life, and a long time dream to own one as well. I don't mind the price, since I got a great deal for it. The dark blue exterior was breath taking. The interior was top notch. As for road handling, the EL XLT can maneuver the rough pavements smoothly, especially on rainy days. The brakes are on point and the acceleration performs good. I like the extra cargo space, which came in handy for taking groceries and moving my household goods. If you were looking for a feel-good SUV, well, this is it!

The interior was top notch, especially with the additional options I added to it, like the DVD system, SYNC, Sirius Satellite radio and PowerFold third row seats. The seating was very comfortable, especially the driver side. I also like the liftgate feature and how it opens like a charm. An A plus!!

Personally, as much as I see how they put all those great features on the vehicle, Ford did a great job with the added features I requested for the vehicle. However, I wish they could have made the lower cladding black like they did on their previous Expeditions (first and second generation models).