Used 2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition EL model:

Perfect for babies
By SteveK

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

With a 20 month old son and twins on the way, my wife and I began searching for a vehicle that could easily accommodate our growing family and special needs. We needed a vehicle that had three sets of LATCH points in the same row as well as accommodate a Triple Stroller without using up all the cargo space. The Expedition EL was the only vehicle to do so. We now have our three sons in the middle row bench, all secured by LATCH. With the smaller portion of the third row folded to accommodate our stroller, we still have the ability to carry two more people back there in comfort along with all our stuff! Brilliant packaging job by Ford.

Favorite Features

Kid friendly seating, comfortable third row, power fold third row, power hatch, camera in rear view mirror, smooth shifting and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Weight of the truck hampers acceleration, so more power would be appreciated, especially for merging and passing. The 5.4L engine has been offered on other products with a supercharger; maybe this can be a viable option for the EL.

Best family vehicle we've owned
By Gary

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is the best family vehicle we have ever owned and we love it. We already have 40K miles on it (never in the shop except for oil changes and tire rotations) because we love taking vacations in it. We traded in our '03 Town and Country and the difference is night and day. So much more interior room and versatility without much difference in parking or gas mileage. We average 16 in every day use and 18 on highway at 75-80 mph. Our van only averaged 19 and got 17 with the cargo topper on the roof! Now we have so much room we don't need it (family of 6 plus a large dog). Very quiet and comfortable ride. Cheaper but much better value than imports or Sub/Tahoe. Can't say enough, great truck!

Favorite Features

Cargo room, passenger room, towing ability, comfort, quiet ride, safety, 6spd auto, 4WD in winter and on mountain roads, independent suspension, rear AC, fold flat rear and middle seats, overall versatility, decent fuel economy for the size, bright red color, extended length body style, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel engine for better fuel economy. Different interior materials/colors that don't get dirty so easy. Exterior styling is great but the Suburban/Tahoe looks just a little better in my opinion. Better fit and finish on rear tailgate (being really picky saying that). Nothing else!!

No more van mom
By Barbara

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV King Ranch 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have 3 kids and was sick of having a van that never had the horse power or the actual room that I wanted. We got the King ranch package and dark cooper exterior. I absolutely love it. There is more storage in the back than a van and more seating room. Very comfortable and we can move around without stepping on seats. I can pull the trailer now where I could not with my town and country. I was disappointed with the ford van, but would go back for another expedition anytime. The only things the kids miss is the satellite tv. I had to pay extra to add the moblie ease for the phone, but the truck is well worth everything else. The gas mileage is not so different from my van.

Favorite Features

back up camera, heat and cooled front seats, rear access dvd (hated changing out every time kids wanted a new movie), bigger gas tank (only 1 stop a week now) and love the interior. It holds up to the kids great. The storage area in the rear makes my shopping a lot easier. Love the running boards!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage (like everything else), optional rear satellite TV, navi that automatically comes up without hitting ok and is satellite updated, side storage in rear for kids stuff would be nice, bluetooth from factory.

So far, So good.
By Woody

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle for road trips for a family of six. It is the only vehicle we could find that had a full size third row and plenty of luggage room. All of my other vehicles are Toyota. Would have bought a Toyota if they built a model big enough. This vehicle is not Toyota quality, but I did not pay the Toyota price either. You can feel the transmission shift. Doors have to be slamed to completely shut. A lot of cheap feeling plactice surfaces. However they clean easily. MPG is 17 with six people and a full luggage rack on the roof. The vehicle has adequate power and is easy to drive. Everyone has a comfortable place to ride. Bottom line, we got what we thought we were getting.

Favorite Features

Full size third row seating. Lots of luggage room. Back up alarm system. Fold flat second and third row seats. Keypad entry on driver door.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Keyhole entry on passenger side door. Better fit and finish. Better floor mats.

Forget the Suburban!
By RICH

2008 Ford Expedition EL SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Spent 1 week test driving several Suburbans (LTZ/ZR1) but I constantly went back to the Expedition. This is my first Ford so I did my research. The Expedition has significant more leg room for the 3rd row which is great for adults but is also huge when you have 2 car seats back there. The 3rd row fold flat feature carries significant weight against the Chevy Suburban. The actual trunk space is 1" shorter than Suburban but is almost 3" wider. Compare to a comparable LTZ the Ford is $8000 less and still has more features. The 6 speed transmission is smooth and responsive. The ride is much better than the Suburban. The independent rear suspension on Ford is much more forgiving as well.

Favorite Features

Rear view camera in the rear view mirror. The Chevy requires you to purchase the $4000 navigation system to get the rear camera. Air condition seats (great for North Carolina). THX surround sound system is awesome! Interior is nicer in Ford. 6 speed transmission makes a huge difference.

Suggested Improvements

Integrated blue tooth for phone. An OnStar like feature