Fuel Pump issues
By davep333 on
2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)
I broke down 3.5 wks ago and it was determined I need a new fuel pump. Apparently, according to the Reg Mgr at Ford, they are having Supply Chain issues and they have NO replacement fuel pumps at this time anywhere in the country. They have an Emergancy order set up for me but I am being told it probably won't be in until sometime in Sept. Can you imagine being told you can't use your car for over 2 months because Ford didn't monitor their inventory properly? They blame it on he suppliers but something was completely mismanaged here. This isn't an old car and this is a common part. I'm not sure if they had a rush of defects at once or this is how it is going to be for any part I need.
Favorite Features
I have 4 kids and a dog and we travel every weekend in the summer. This car was purchased to haul our family and all our gear and up until my recent issue I loved it. I also have a 2004 (not EL) that we had good luck with. I was planning on upgrading to a newer Expedition but was waiting for the new design to be released (hearing 2014). After the way Ford has handled the most recent fuel pump issue I plan on being FORD free soon. The Expedition was roughly 1K over the extended warranty I had purchased and they won't give me a loaner/rental. Apparently they think it is OK for me to pay for a rental for over 2 months due to their Supply Chain issues.
Suggested Improvements
Ford needs to understand that doing the right thing will pay off in the long run. Telling me that they have no obligation to me because I am slightly out of warranty is wrong especially since I told them I would buy a new Expedition EL when it comes out. How can they think that it is ok for anyone to have to rent a car for over 2 months because they have acknowledged inventory problems? I want to be loyal to them but the way they have handled this issue I will NEVER own Ford again.
By michdon
on 09/18/13 07:37 AM (PDT)

I too had this problem this summer along with many, many other people. My fuel pump went out on July 7th and I just got the expedition back September 13th, which was a couple of weeks earlier than what I was told. Also, Ford told me the same thing that they have no obligation to assist me in any way. I even turned them into the attorney general office but received a letter from ford stating they are not the manufacturer of the pump therefore it isn't their problem. Currently we own three fords and have owned at least six in the last 19 years. As our vehicles need to be replaced they will be replaced with a different manufacturer after this ordeal. Good luck.

By lawstud
on 08/23/13 19:39 PM (PDT)

OEM fuel pump is on ebay for around $250.

By michdon
on 09/18/13 07:38 AM (PDT)

The EL's take a different fuel pump then the regular sized expeditions.