2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Bigger and Better

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel - Consumer Review

Bigger and Better
By Beowulf on

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

As with another reviewer, this is my second 'Ex' (also had an '01). Replaced after transmission had repeated problems ending in new transmission (fortunately it was still under warranty). I actually liked the 7.0 engine better, but this one does have better mileage and I can carry my entire extended family and tow a boat when we go on vacation. Towing and carrying full load, can cross Snoqualmie Pass in worst winter conditions with just winter tires, no problems. I love this car and am glad I got one of the last ones - will care for it and probably replace the engine if it ever fails. Oh, and by the way - runs great on Biodiesel - I've had it up to B100 but B5-B20 is best for coldest winter weather.

Favorite Features

Space aplenty. Lots of torque, pulls my 8500lb. boat-trailer like it wasn't there. Even before chipping, gets excellent mileage (appx. 15 city, up to 20 highway) - more than my Jeep Grand Cherokee does and more comfort, too.

Suggested Improvements

not much point in this category since it's not being made anymore, but better motors on the back windows would have been nice. Also, an extra leaf in the front springs for firmer road-feel when fully loaded.