2005 Ford Excursion XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2005 Excursion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Sort Reviews by

Big, Powerful, and Economical
By Bob607

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a Big SUV but was afraid of the fuel costs. Ford's Turbo Diesel is the answer. This truck is incredible. At 7000 plus pounds, 11000 lbs. of towing capacity, the fuel mileage is equal to my daughters V6 midsize SUV. I am averaging 18+ overall mileage with power that you cannot believe. I mean this baby flies. I actually spun the rear wheels the other day entering traffic. Naturally, after I bought the truck, diesel fuel increased to $2+ per gallon, but I am confident it will settle back down to regular fuel prices. My friend's GMC Yukon XL gets 11 miles per gallon no matter what he does. Is he ever jealous!

Favorite Features

Performance and Comfort. People are shocked by the trucks comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The diesel can be noisy on initial startup but after warmup it improves. Perhaps, if I had a complaint, it would be the engine noise. Perhaps more or better sound proofing could help.

under rated
By delane

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

great truck with a size unequalled. I looked at the H2 but found it to small. This truck rides great, and the engine is amazing. Had a 2001 diesel ltd. Yhis truck is night and day better.

Favorite Features

Engine

Suggested Improvements

Front seats still need more support but are better than earlier models. i wish the heated seats stayed on like the Suburban

2004 Excursion
By jmolnar

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is a great family vehicle. I've been driving suburbans for 8 years and hesitated moving to the excursion. The additonal room has been great as our family has transitioned from toddlers to teenagers. The overall quality of this vehicle is exceptional and I like having the diesel engine. We like water sports and having the extra towing capacity has been great.

Favorite Features

We chose the 4 captain seat model and I love the wide aisles.

Suggested Improvements

Changing the cruise control on the steering wheel to the center of the wheel. It is quite easy to hit the resume button by accident and accelerate quickly.

Big, Powerful and Beautiful
By captcapo

2005 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Large capacity SUV that is not for the timid. This is my second one with a diesel engine. Milage is about mid 17 on my comutes and about 19 on the highway. In Florida last year with no hills and 55 mph speed limit the milage went over 22 mpg. Not bad for GVW @ 9200 lbs. New diesel is quieter than 01 model year. For some reason the tree hugers don't like this one but that's because they haven't educated themselves to what this vechicle is all about. I may agree with the gas version but certainly not the diesel. Interior finish is good to excellent. It handles well considering its weight and height above the ground. Try one you will like it.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine is low maintenance and great mileage. This engine will outlast the body if properly maintained. Exterior design is clean and straight forward. Lack of chrome in the 05s is definetly a good thing. Interior workmanship is as good as any luxury car. There are 6 power ports.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes should be bigger. The seats should be air conditioned.

My Toradore Review
By BK

2005 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

My experience with the Excursion is that it is extremely reliable. The only negative thing that I have to say about it is the interior design, whereby the spare tire is inside. I'm sure it could have been placed outside like most other vehicles. That would enable us to utilize that "dead space" which is created by having a tire inside of the vehicle. As for fuel economy, I've never seen a rating, but we average anywhere between 18-21 mph on the highway, and 16-18 in the city! I think that is awesome for a vehicle of its size. Thanks for your time.

Favorite Features

Size, comfort, sticker price, and the fact that my wife can drive it and not be intimidated on the roads. She's only 5'5 and 117 lbs!

Suggested Improvements

Please remove the spare tire from inside of the vehicle.

Best Truck
By Pmlsr

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck! We have owned two, both diesels. Used for towing large trailer up and down the east coast. Has power to spare even pulling up hill. I would buy a thrid one to save in the garage if I found out Ford was going to stop production.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power. Very comfortable to drive and to ride in. Has a strong, stable feeling. Dash well designed.

Suggested Improvements

Little more style could be added.

wesleys 2000 excursion
By wesley

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

You sure feel safe in it, and you can haul tons of goodies. Pulls a 6k lb boat with out telling. Rides like a horse though. Pretty reliable

Favorite Features

the mileage and outside temperature guage

Suggested Improvements

better ride, I hear the ride has improved since 00

SWEET
By GENE PHELPS

2005 Ford Excursion XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

LOOKS GOOD,RUNS GOOD WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

Favorite Features

DIESEL MOTOR AND A GREAT TRANSMISSION

Suggested Improvements

XM RADIO

x
By Dragongate

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Wonderful towing capabilities- you hardly know have something back there. We generally tow between 5000 and 9000 lbs. Quick response both when asking for speed and when asking for stopping. Comfortable for passengers and great cargo capacity both with all the seats in place and without. Fuel economy has been around 20mpg(diesel) which I don't think is bad for the size of the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Jeez, where to start, it's so well designed. I think the neatest feature is the tow/haul control. When negotiating a steep incline you can set this feature to maintain a speed that you determine- no constant braking

Suggested Improvements

Seats seem to be a little stiff-very roomy and comfortable in that regard but difficult for a short person to be comfortable on a long trip because of seat

A real user
By Alaskmoose

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The excursion is an SUV that can work like a truck and be a wonderful family auto at the same time. We have been able to tow heavy loads, and just use as an everyday rig.

Favorite Features

TOUGH

Suggested Improvements

A longer version would be even more useful.