Used 2005 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The Diesel is Awesome! Great SUV.
By Chris

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This SUV is AWESOME! I am getting 16- 17MPG in city and 21-24mpg hwy. With a 6500lb SUV with 325hp and 560lb torque This beast is quicker than my V6 Mitsu Car and is getting within 2mpg fuel economy on the hwy. Much better choice than my minivan for my 3 kids. Twin girls load easy behind the driver on the 60% bench while letting me flip up and load my 3yr old son in the 3rd row. This leaves PLENTY of room for 3 more adults in back. There is tons of room for the double stroller and luggage behind the 3rd row WOW! Ford is ending production in SEPT replacing it with a '07 stretched Expedition. Get one before they are gone. With Family Plan Pricing a Limited Diesel 2-5K under invoice.

Diesel Engine. This 6.0ltr is more fuel efficient, quieter and has tons more power than the 7.3 used thru '02. New 5 speed auto trans works great. Tow-haul mode will downshift for you on hills using engine breaking. This is a ULEV passing CA new '05 emissions standards so feel good driving it!

Maybe OnStar. A master switch to turn off the interior lights. An included Active alarm. It has the PassKey system so you can't start it without the Key, but the Ford alarm module that conviently plugs in by the dealer, will cost you $3-400 dollars. Hummmm?

NOISY VEHICLE
By BOERNER

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Noisy engine. Diesel engine noise same as '04 model year; no dampening material under hood to eliminate same noise. Factory will not correct the problem. Also pulling a 34 foot Airstream trailer the rear of the tow vehicle sags 2 inches low, making the connection look like it's dragging down in the middle at the hitch point.

Factory should address this problem through a district rep and not use the dealer as a lightning rod.

Diesel is the only option
By JimM

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My diesel Excursion gets better mileage than my neighbor's Grand Cherokee and my other neighbor's Blazer and frankly, they are dumbfounded. They can't even begin to comprehend what it is like to be able to travel 800+ miles on a single tank of fuel. The idea of being able to tow their boat up to their lake home without having to stop for gas doesn't seem possible to them, because it isn't. One of the big 3 needs to continue producing a full-sized, diesel- powered SUV. Buy one of these trucks while you still can and make sure you buy a diesel. Will a diesel hold it's value? Try even finding a used diesel Excursion that has less than 100,000 miles on it and see how much the owner is asking.

The diesel engine is the best-kept secret in America. More powerful, more durable and at least 20% more efficient than a comparable gas engine. That doesn't even factor the potential of biodiesel.

Keep building full-size SUVs with diesel engines. Better weatherstripping on the bottom of the driver's door, more comfortable seats (see Suburban's for ideas). More power and torque is never a bad thing.

I love it!
By Gina Rogowsky

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love this truck. Everyone says that it’s a big truck; it's not. I love sitting up so high. And diesel is the only way to go. I get 500 miles to a tank and it lasts me over a month. When we go to Rochester we don't have to stop for gas. And it's a 6 hour drive and 375 miles away from where I live. I have three kids, 3 year old and 3 month old twins, and let me tell you it’s better than a minivan. Way more room. I can put a double stroller and a single one in the trunk with my groceries. I can put 2 people on the third row seat with my 3 year old and 1 person in the back seat with my twins. So all together I can fit 8 people in my truck. I will never own anything else again.

My favorite feature is that its diesel. We also own a F-350 CrewCab dually and it's the best. Ford makes awesome trucks.

The only thing that I think Ford needs to do is put something like OnStar in their trucks. Other than that its perfect.

Awesome Ride For Our Family
By SHAWNA

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love it. We only have two kids so far, but to go anywhere takes a lot of stuff and room for it. This can fit it all and lots more, especially for those long road trips. The diesel engine's performance is phenomenal. It is so powerful. Right now we are averaging about 16.5 mpg, and about 680 miles a tank. Not bad considering gas excursions get approximately 7-8 mpg. :-) I would suggest this car to anyone.

The engine, interior space, vehicle look and towing capabilities.

The only thing I have had to get used to is when I take the key out and open the door, I have to remember to unlock all the doors to get the kids out, I wish it unlocked automatically.