2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
Gimme another X!
By liverdonor on 05/02/05 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a 2001 Ltd diesel and traded for new '05. Man, what a difference. I liked the '01, but the improvements made to the vehicle are _very_ apparent. Handling is better, power is simply amazing - tow a 5000lb trailer like it isn't there when crossing Stevens Pass. The shift quality with the new 5-speed is better - tighter shifts and the tow-mode means no burning your brakes on long downhills. And of course, as before, I can carry my entire extended family (many of whom do not drive) all over the place, and watch while the engine (under load) gets better fuel economy than my Chrysler 300M. This is a brilliant car for its purpose - Diesel Forever!

Why Didn't We Do This Sooner?
By oldmanriver on 04/19/05 11:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Surveys tend to indicate that virtually all SUV owners wish they had more room. It was this logic that led us to the purchase of the 2005 Excursion - sporting restyling features that put it over the top for irresistibility. Once you easily adapt your driving habits to accommodate the characteristics of the Excursion, you will never look back. It's a very social vehicle that lets passengers get comfortable and enjoy being together. Out of nowhere, amidst the line of mostly GM SUVs at her school during dismissal, my young daughter proclaimed: "I carry pride for that grill!". They ought to use that slogan in a Ford TV commercial.

Excursion pulls camper like a breeze
By Glenn on 04/08/05 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have the 4 wheel drive diesel Limited Excursion. It pulls my 35' travel trailer with no problems at all. The gas mileage with the diesel engine is about 15-17 city and 17-21 highway. I actually get better mileage than I did with the gas Chevy Suburban I traded in on it.

Excursion
By eugene on 03/31/05 19:16 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Overall super satisfied. We have the 6.0 diesel which makes this large vehicle not only comfortable but efficient. Getting 18.5 average which is better than our minivan or either of our Jeeps. we use it to tow a 30 foot travel trailer which it does with ease. Went from Maryland to Knoxville Tenn. on one tank with trailer in tow at traffic speeds. Much better than my old 460 Ford - three times as much fuel to go same place.

Very disappointed
By Cheryl on 03/24/05 15:46 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've been through two of them. One returned for the lemon law and now I'm on the second one. I've had it 10 months and the transmission went out. I'm very upset about this.

Please, don't stop making the Excursion!
By Billy Speer on 03/22/05 16:56 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased a 2001 Ford Excusion for our ministry pulling a trailer and averaged 40,000 miles a year, This is the best heavy duty and enjoyable vehicle we have owned, I couldn't wait to trade up to the 2005 Excursion. It's one of the most dependable, hardworking, vehicles we've ever used. Please, don't stop making the Ford Excursion! I'm a big person and it fits me just right. It has all the options a person could want, and the speaker system is fabulous. If you want to haul anything, this is the SUV you want, and we are getting better miles a gallon than before with more power! Wow! don't know what I do with it, thanks Ford!

Great Truck
By David on 03/14/05 20:16 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Solid, very fast, great diesel mileage. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Great for family trips.

Excursion
By alles on 03/11/05 21:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Overall an exceptional buy. Paid $6,000 under MSRP. Fuel economy in first 400 miles is 18 MPG combined city & highway. Ride, despite other's criticism, is much better than the pickup trucks I have owned in the past. Not quite as good as my Expedition but overall a good ride. Length of the vehicle is the same as a pickup truck with a long bed and regular cab. Fits in my garage with an Expedition just fine. It also gets 3 miles a gallon better mileage than my Expedition.

Excursion
By scott on 03/10/05 00:08 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It is a very good car for towing and hauling people. It is very roomy. The diesel engine has very good power and the tow transmission is very good for holding back large loads on steep grades. My only complaint is the steering and handling was not good. It wandered all over the road. We could not even pull our travel trailer over 45 mph but our dealer was very good about fixing it (Ford company was not!). They had to bring it to a specialty shop to have the front end shimmed correctly and a new steering box installed and replaced the stock shocks with a truck style shock. Now it drives great but I am very upset that Ford let a car that is made for pulling leave the factory so unsafe to drive with a load.

Best SUV I have ever owned
By b-bambam on 03/05/05 01:37 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I tow a lot and need a big car. I pulled the trigger on the Excursion with the diesel engine. Would highly recommend the diesel over gasoline engines. I get 21 mpg on highway and about 16 in city. If you seriously utilize an SUV and have a large family I would consider this your best bet over any other SUV, especially if you tow. Owned 2 Suburban's, 2 Jeeps and nothing compares to the comfort and room of the Excursion.