Used 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Great Vehicle
By Tim

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Has a lot of power; will last a long time. resale good.

Favorite Features

Power Eddie Bauer bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

A light that will tell you that your windshield wiper fluid is low, More comfort in the seats up front.

A true Utility Vehicle
By Derek Roth

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the first vehicle that I've LOVED! It looks as nice today as when I bought it. It's the ONLY vehicle that suits our families needs. With 3 kids and a dog, there is room for the dog's crate, suitcases and we're NOT all sitting on top of one another. There are times when it's still not large enough. With the diesel I get 21.5 MPG at 60MPH! In addition, we also pull an 8000 lb. camper. The ride is incredibly smooth pulling the camper at 75 mph through Nevada on the way to California. It also starts with no problems in Minnesota's winters! My two teenagers AND my wife prefer to drive the Excursion over the Sable wagon, and have no problems with maneuverability.

Favorite Features

A true Utility Vehicle! Lots of room, incredible mileage for an 8000 pound SUV (21.5 mpg).

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them!

Excursion Conversion
By Cary

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We have had Suburbans and prefer the ride of the Excursion. We ordered our Excursion after my husband purchased his F-350 4 door. Both vehicles are diesel which you cannot get with the Suburbans. The mileage is as good, if not better than our previous vehicles.

Favorite Features

Size in general - I love driving a "big" vehicle, especially on long family trips. The DVD player/wireless head phones made a big hit with the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Do not really like the two-toned seats. Would have preferred the option of a single color, however, that option not available. I would also like an arm rest on the left as well as the right side of the front bucket seats.

Gimme another X!
By liverdonor

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a 2001 Ltd diesel and traded for new '05. Man, what a difference. I liked the '01, but the improvements made to the vehicle are _very_ apparent. Handling is better, power is simply amazing - tow a 5000lb trailer like it isn't there when crossing Stevens Pass. The shift quality with the new 5-speed is better - tighter shifts and the tow-mode means no burning your brakes on long downhills. And of course, as before, I can carry my entire extended family (many of whom do not drive) all over the place, and watch while the engine (under load) gets better fuel economy than my Chrysler 300M. This is a brilliant car for its purpose - Diesel Forever!

Favorite Features

6.0L Navistar engine rocks. Rear anti- sway bar very good idea - rear wheels stay on ground. 5-speed transmission towing mode - tow your boat, set speed, cross mountains. No worries.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful blower fan or better air circulation - defrosting the windows on this monster sometimes takes forever.

Excursion pulls camper like a breeze
By Glenn

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have the 4 wheel drive diesel Limited Excursion. It pulls my 35' travel trailer with no problems at all. The gas mileage with the diesel engine is about 15-17 city and 17-21 highway. I actually get better mileage than I did with the gas Chevy Suburban I traded in on it.

Suggested Improvements

Believe it or not, this vehicle fits in an average size garage, however the radio antenna would scrape the door molding pulling in and out of the garage. I had to get a small whip antenna to replace it. You would think a $50,000 vehicle would come with an electric antenna that goes up and down!