Used 2005 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Happy Excursion Owner
By Bruce Gary

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I like the Excursion because it is comfortable to drive and it allows you to see over most other traffic. With the 6.0 Diesel it is an excellent tow vehicle. I only wish it got much better mileage. So far it has never let me down or stranded me somewhere. The A/C and the DVD system are two of its most used items. The 4 wheel drive comes in very handy on bi-annual shooting trips to the desert areas of Southern California. I sold a 1 year old Crown Vic Sport to purchase this Excursion and have been very happy everyday since. In the past I have usually purchased either Chevys or Dodges, but I am very glad I gave Ford a second look in 2006 and 2007.

Favorite Features

6.0 diesel engine. 4 wheel drive. Great A/C system

Suggested Improvements

Dual turbo for diesel engines. Better fuel economy. Bigger screen for DVD system

No comparison
By BlackWidowDiesel

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Believe it or not we traded in our 2004 BMW 745i for this beast, I also have a 2003 F350 Crewcab LB 4X4 Powerstroke and love it even though it has a rough ride, my wife wanted something more practical that we can use to tow our tow hauler. I did add most of the amenties the BMW had and then some, like DVD surround sound, Bluetooth hands free set up, Ipod adapter and Pioneer nav system. This thing rides plush and has tons of power. I had a Suburban for years and it was too soft for towing. Not to mention horrible torsion bar front suspension that had constant alignment problems and bad brakes. Sub also had fuelpump problems. This monster does it all in luxury and comfort with decent MPG-Diesel

Favorite Features

Diesel power for towing, practicality and comfort. It's big but I have a long bed F350 crew cab 4x4 and it's bigger. I'll never get rid of it, regardless of how much they charge for Diesel.

Suggested Improvements

There is no other vehicle on the market that does what this vehicle does. Since the trend of micro machines(i.e. mobile coffins) has exploded the Big 3 have not offered any such vehicle for towing that even comes close aside from crew cab pickups but it's just not the same

Huge and beautiful
By Mike

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought my Excursion a year ago and I never have a problem with it. Most important for me is that my kids love it. I wish they will continue to make them. Excursions are gorgeous and very comfortable.

Favorite Features

I love the C D player. It has a lot of power. The ride is more than great.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they will continue to make them.

Should of got the Suburban
By Dustin

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Bought a brand new Excursion diesel. Transmission went out before 8000 miles; had to get a new transmission replaced (warranty covered); had power steering and brake problems. Radio and DVD player had to be replaced. it took them over 2 months to fix the radio, two weeks to fix the transmission. Spend 56k on this car, wouldn't expect these kinds of problem on a car of this price. Also, now having problems with the heater not working. Wife doesn't trust this car, so now it sits in my driveway collecting dust. Trade-in value not that great. Ford service is not great, always waiting.

Favorite Features

DVD system when it works, keeps the kids occupied. Heated seats. Lots of cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires. Easier access to spare, which will take you over an hour to put it back where it's suppose to go.

Family of 6 Riding High
By Family of 6 S. Kee

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I am 110% happy with my suv; it has exceeded all of my expectations. I love the power my truck brings with it. I got stuck in the snow 15 times last winter when I drove my minivan & now I have the power of my V10 engine and 4wd. My gas mileage is comparable to my old minivan. I had to use 93 octane for the van so I can use 87 octane for my suv. I don't see much difference. I can fit my 4 children, 2 Labradors and husband in my suv very comfortably. It is by far better than the Suburban and Yukon XL. I looked and drove both before my purchase. I like Fords and was happy to fine the mammoth in Ford's line up. it's too bad they won't make them anymore. It's easy to drive and park, smooth and comfy.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD, 2nd row captains chair, DVD player. Easy access to 3rd row, SPACE for 4 children. Kids play their video games on trips. Watching movies easy on ears with wireless earphones. Backup sensor is excellent. 4wd -- I love it. Adjustable pedals, tinted review mirror. Compass, gas mileage read out is great.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them. Head rest for 3rd row.