2005 Ford Excursion Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
expected much more
By mar18 on 03/20/12 20:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

i decided to buy an excursion diesel to be able to tow the toy hauler and bring the family along. i was very dissapointed with the quality performance and fuel mileage. i got 14 mpg on the highway (i have a light foot). when towing the 8000lb toyhauler i got 7mpg on the highway and had to go peddal to the floor on every hill and the truck still slowed down to 40 mph and struggled to make it up small hills. the truck overheated on me 3 times while towing in tow-haul mode so i started towing without it. the truck always struggled with the trailer. My 5.7 liter tundra towed the same trailer without a problem. I always thought ford was the best of all american car makers. obviously i was wrong

Bigger and Better
By Beowulf on 06/28/10 16:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

As with another reviewer, this is my second 'Ex' (also had an '01). Replaced after transmission had repeated problems ending in new transmission (fortunately it was still under warranty). I actually liked the 7.0 engine better, but this one does have better mileage and I can carry my entire extended family and tow a boat when we go on vacation. Towing and carrying full load, can cross Snoqualmie Pass in worst winter conditions with just winter tires, no problems. I love this car and am glad I got one of the last ones - will care for it and probably replace the engine if it ever fails. Oh, and by the way - runs great on Biodiesel - I've had it up to B100 but B5-B20 is best for coldest winter weather.

Awesome Truck BEFORE
By AAP on 03/09/10 06:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had a 2001 Excursion and loved it. I have kids, parents,horses, etc. and it has always worked well. Love the vehicle but have had a lot of problems with the 2005 model. Wish they would go back to old engine. A lot of problems with exhaust. It is in the shop now and I am torn, keep fixing problems or buy Suburban. Hate that idea. Miss old Excursion, lets rebuild that one and get back on track!

No other SUV can tow as much
By Vinceman on 01/27/06 23:56 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

No other SUV on the market can tow more than 10,000 lbs. I needed the power of a diesel. I had an 03' Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed 4 x 4 with 8.1 liter gasoline motor with the 5 speed Allison Transmission. Empty netted 10 mpg around town. The Excursion gets 16 mpg.

thinking of buying a 2nd one
By rick on 12/18/05 19:09 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Very functional for a family of 5.

Above The Best
By Nicole on 12/18/05 16:12 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The power of this outstanding vehicle is unbelievable. I would recommend it to the world, and definitely over the Chev Suburban. Not to mention the incredible space! Too bad they stopped making it.

Awesome
By Sharon Adams on 12/01/05 09:27 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have gotten up to 22 miles per gallon hwy and it's not even broken in yet. The Excursion is everything I need or could ever what in an SUV. I'm saddened Ford is not going to make them anymore!

Not such a fuel hog
By Ron Mason on 11/14/05 23:03 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was surprised to get 16 mpg - much better than my Jeep Wrangler. I've driven similar trucks and usually got around 9 or 10 mpg. I'm really impressed with the power of the 6.0 diesel - it definitely outperforms the older 7.3.

Excursion
By Eddie on 10/31/05 18:21 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Enjoy this truck a lot. Plenty of space and power for towing and love the big tank!

Best SUV ever built
By Bruno on 09/26/05 13:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is by far the best truck we have ever owned. It will carry or drag anything you ask of it. We when though three hurricanes last year and this truck never missed a step. From dragging fallen trees out of the road to carrying building supplies, it never let us down. And when every one ran out of gas it was still easy to find diesel.