Used 2005 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

expected much more
By mar18

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

i decided to buy an excursion diesel to be able to tow the toy hauler and bring the family along. i was very dissapointed with the quality performance and fuel mileage. i got 14 mpg on the highway (i have a light foot). when towing the 8000lb toyhauler i got 7mpg on the highway and had to go peddal to the floor on every hill and the truck still slowed down to 40 mph and struggled to make it up small hills. the truck overheated on me 3 times while towing in tow-haul mode so i started towing without it. the truck always struggled with the trailer. My 5.7 liter tundra towed the same trailer without a problem. I always thought ford was the best of all american car makers. obviously i was wrong

Favorite Features

rear dvd player, rear captains chairs, nice two tone paint and two tone leather.

Suggested Improvements

If ford decides to remake them they should improve quality, power, and mileage.

Bigger and Better
By Beowulf

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

As with another reviewer, this is my second 'Ex' (also had an '01). Replaced after transmission had repeated problems ending in new transmission (fortunately it was still under warranty). I actually liked the 7.0 engine better, but this one does have better mileage and I can carry my entire extended family and tow a boat when we go on vacation. Towing and carrying full load, can cross Snoqualmie Pass in worst winter conditions with just winter tires, no problems. I love this car and am glad I got one of the last ones - will care for it and probably replace the engine if it ever fails. Oh, and by the way - runs great on Biodiesel - I've had it up to B100 but B5-B20 is best for coldest winter weather.

Favorite Features

Space aplenty. Lots of torque, pulls my 8500lb. boat-trailer like it wasn't there. Even before chipping, gets excellent mileage (appx. 15 city, up to 20 highway) - more than my Jeep Grand Cherokee does and more comfort, too.

Suggested Improvements

not much point in this category since it's not being made anymore, but better motors on the back windows would have been nice. Also, an extra leaf in the front springs for firmer road-feel when fully loaded.

Awesome Truck BEFORE
By AAP

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had a 2001 Excursion and loved it. I have kids, parents,horses, etc. and it has always worked well. Love the vehicle but have had a lot of problems with the 2005 model. Wish they would go back to old engine. A lot of problems with exhaust. It is in the shop now and I am torn, keep fixing problems or buy Suburban. Hate that idea. Miss old Excursion, lets rebuild that one and get back on track!

Favorite Features

Size, comfort inside

Suggested Improvements

Bring back older engine and exhaust! Bring them back!

THE BIG REPLACEMENT
By Rick Salinas

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I had wanted an Excursion since they first arived on the showroom floor. I finally got one nine years later, as a replacement for two vehicles. It now takes the place of my Lincoln Town Car and a 4wd 15 passenger van, which was a hard thing to do. I wanted all the luxury inside an suv just like my Lincoln Cartier, the room, rugedness,and 4wd go anywhere of my van. It has replaced them both with flying colors, and made me very happy. It is very comfortable and ride hieght is excelent. I use this vehicle for work, family and play.

Favorite Features

It's overall size and interior room, cargo room/capacity,combined with all the luxury that you could ask for or want.

Suggested Improvements

Shouldn't have stoped making them!!

Better Than Two Previous Towncars
By James

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Unlike the Towncars little or no road and wind noise. Most miles are annual trips between Florida and New Jersey. Loaded to the roof, it has more than adequate power. At 14,062 every aspect of it is dependable and holding up better than any other car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Clear vision while driving Very nive interior which still looks like new. Roominess and ease of using features Rear doors

Suggested Improvements

Lock on glove compartment.