2005 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
expected much more
By mar18 on 03/20/12 20:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

i decided to buy an excursion diesel to be able to tow the toy hauler and bring the family along. i was very dissapointed with the quality performance and fuel mileage. i got 14 mpg on the highway (i have a light foot). when towing the 8000lb toyhauler i got 7mpg on the highway and had to go peddal to the floor on every hill and the truck still slowed down to 40 mph and struggled to make it up small hills. the truck overheated on me 3 times while towing in tow-haul mode so i started towing without it. the truck always struggled with the trailer. My 5.7 liter tundra towed the same trailer without a problem. I always thought ford was the best of all american car makers. obviously i was wrong

Bigger and Better
By Beowulf on 06/28/10 16:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

As with another reviewer, this is my second 'Ex' (also had an '01). Replaced after transmission had repeated problems ending in new transmission (fortunately it was still under warranty). I actually liked the 7.0 engine better, but this one does have better mileage and I can carry my entire extended family and tow a boat when we go on vacation. Towing and carrying full load, can cross Snoqualmie Pass in worst winter conditions with just winter tires, no problems. I love this car and am glad I got one of the last ones - will care for it and probably replace the engine if it ever fails. Oh, and by the way - runs great on Biodiesel - I've had it up to B100 but B5-B20 is best for coldest winter weather.

Awesome Truck BEFORE
By AAP on 03/09/10 06:55 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had a 2001 Excursion and loved it. I have kids, parents,horses, etc. and it has always worked well. Love the vehicle but have had a lot of problems with the 2005 model. Wish they would go back to old engine. A lot of problems with exhaust. It is in the shop now and I am torn, keep fixing problems or buy Suburban. Hate that idea. Miss old Excursion, lets rebuild that one and get back on track!

THE BIG REPLACEMENT
By Rick Salinas on 07/21/09 23:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I had wanted an Excursion since they first arived on the showroom floor. I finally got one nine years later, as a replacement for two vehicles. It now takes the place of my Lincoln Town Car and a 4wd 15 passenger van, which was a hard thing to do. I wanted all the luxury inside an suv just like my Lincoln Cartier, the room, rugedness,and 4wd go anywhere of my van. It has replaced them both with flying colors, and made me very happy. It is very comfortable and ride hieght is excelent. I use this vehicle for work, family and play.

Better Than Two Previous Towncars
By James on 07/03/09 20:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Unlike the Towncars little or no road and wind noise. Most miles are annual trips between Florida and New Jersey. Loaded to the roof, it has more than adequate power. At 14,062 every aspect of it is dependable and holding up better than any other car I have owned.

Beauty and a BEAST
By Del on 06/17/09 08:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We purchased a pair (2) 2005 Ford Excursion Limited's with the 6.0L turbo diesel. We traded in a pair (2) of Volvo's. With three (3) growing kids and lots of gear, the Volvo's just could not carry the loads without going to roof racks. The diesel Excursion is a treat. So much power, so much room, so much safety. selected againt Chevy/ GMC, Caddy because we love Ford diesels since they run much stronger and longer. Plus, those are all smaller interiors. I wish Ford would revisit making the Excursion. We bought two (2) of the 2005 model with the Limited package. We will replace the engines if they ever need it, with the new updated Powerstroke found in the 2009 Super Duty pick-ups.

The Beast
By Bravosfan on 05/16/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Great highway ride with ample room, tows a mountain, and can go off road with the best of them. This beast is big, comfortable, and safe. I can put a hybrid in the rear cargo area!

After 44,000 Miles...
By MANHUNTER on 04/22/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

After 44,000 miles and 3 1/2 years, we still own our "Big X" land yacht. Yes, it's big and no, it's not a politically- correct hybrid sub-compact, but what a vehicle. In my experience, the hype about the gas mileage in the V-10 is misinformation; I've been averaging 10 to 11 mpg in town and 15.4 on the highway. The ONLY problems I've had with this vehicle are with the brakes. I've had the brakes done twice in 3 1/2 years; it hasn't been to the shop for anything else, other than oil and filter changes.

nothing touches the excursion
By jackhart on 03/18/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I traded in an '06 Tahoe at the end of my lease for a used '05 Excursion turbodiesel. It has more room for my kids, dogs and luggage, and the diesel option sealed the deal, since it can tow anything and gets better mileage than the gas version. If you need the room, nothing beats the Excursion. I am more than pleased with this vehicle, and even with 50K on the odometer, it still runs and looks like new. Too bad they don't make this truck anymore, because even a few years old, the truck is still a winner.

Great Vehicle
By Tom on 02/02/09 09:50 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This is our second Excursion. First was a 2002. The first was so good I had to get a 2005 because Ford stopped making them. This is the best highway vehicle I ever had. Family vacations are wonderful. Plenty of room, comfortable and safe. We have driven thru some sizable storms and the stability of this beast is excellent. Performance in the snow and on dirt roads is flawless. This vehicle is so solid I hit a deer at 35mph and there was no damage to the car. There is simply no better or safer vehicle for my family. 90,000m on the 2002 without any significant repairs. 32,000 on the 2005 with no problems yet.