The Best Family Vehicle on the Planet
By AK Force on
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)
This SUV can tow anything, haul the wife, 3 kids, dog, gear-and gets GREAT mpg. The truck is large, but it's shorter than a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup. It gets much better gas mileage than a Durango with more space - WAY more. Although it's a 3/4 ton, it rides smoothly, and talk about power - I towed my 27ft travel trailer from VA to FL at speeds averaging 65-70 mph and it never once kicked out of overdrive - and I got a solid 12 mpg out of it - the 2002 Yukon XLT I traded in didn't come close - about 7.5 mpg with less tow capacity. With no trailer I averaged almost 20 mpg HWY. I went 802 miles without filling up. Size, power, range, leather, DVD - it's the dream SUV for any RV/Truck/Family guy
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is its total utility! A muscular diesel tied to a luxuriously comfortable SUV with leather seating for 7 (2nd row captain's chairs) is a dream come true. Whether towing my RV or keeping the kids amused with a DVD, there's no other truck on the planet with such a total package.
Suggested Improvements
I'd stiffen the ride up a little to tighten up the turns. Strengthen Ford corporate backbone; advertise the diesel, the power, the MPG. Put the PSD badge on the door; I'm amazed how few folks know the PSD availble on the X. Discontinuing this gem is a mistake made by scared executives - C'mon Ford!