Used 2004 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The Perfect SUV
By DaBeast

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

All I can say is that the only way to own this SUV is to have the 6.0 Turbo diesel, and you get used to the sound. The gas mileage is incredible for a vehicle this size whether in town or towing! We have owned many Ford vehicles over time (F-150, Bronco, Expedition) primarily for towing a large boat over long distances. Nothing we have owned has even come close to comparing in towing quality and interior quantity. This SUV is made to tow! The 6.0 coupled with the regearing of the Transmission in "Tow" mode makes this SUV superior over any other SUV. The interior room is just another added bonus. Especially for hauling all the gear, kids, and dogs.

Favorite Features

6.0 Turbo Diesel & Transmission, Radio Controls on Steering, Adjustable pedals, DVD Player, Back-up sensors (for easy parallel parking!) The ease to drive and comfort level.

Suggested Improvements

KEEP MAKING THEM! When this vehicle has seen it's time, an F-250 Crew 6.0 Turbo Diesel Truck just is not the perfect comfort match for us with kids, gear, and dogs in tow!

Love my Excursion
By sadiex5

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We love our excursion. I had a 1999 gmc Suburban with only 50000 and it was consantly breaking. The dealership that I had purchased the suburban from never fixed it correctly so I decided to try Ford And am I ever happy I did. The hardest thing for me to get use to is how far the side mirrors stick out I go on some narrow streets and sometimes I woory that they are going to hit something, Other then that I love it. I test drove a lot of other cars before I made my final choice. I was getting 10 mpg in my suburban and now I get 22 mpg. Towing is wonderful and easy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, 6 disc cd, MPG Amount that it carries. the way the cargo doors open.

Suggested Improvements

Make the side mirrors so that they can be pushed in closer to the car

Best overall
By J.Diamond

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I use this for family, towing, Vacations and everyday. I drive alot, and I use this in winter conditions and lake stuff. I cannot live without this car.

Favorite Features

Powerstroke

Suggested Improvements

more, more ,more

This is why we need an Excursion.
By Ron Greisel

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my families fifth Excursion. We make 50 mile round trip to take 5 kids to school each week day and 50 miles to pick up in afternoon. Also 200 mile round trip to the city each weekend for shopping.

Favorite Features

I loved the power stroke diesel but the extra power of the 2003 and 2004 6.0 diesel makes it even better

Suggested Improvements

I have owned 2000 2002 2002 2003 & 2004 Excursion. All fully loaded and equipped with diesel. I have never have had a problem with any of them. Like I said I love new transmission and diesel

Never owned a vehicle I liked so well
By OwnerInOhio

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have four teenage sons and sometimes tow a 5000lb boat. I bought the diesel for fuel economy -- getting 16-22mph. It took a short while to get used driving this large vehicle, but now I LOVE driving this car. Trips are a joy with the entertainment package. NO new car "little problems" (yet, at 3500 miles). I tend to buy new cars and keep them for 10 years. I believe I made a very good choice for the next 10. Also very impressed with how solidly this vehicle seems to be built, inside and out. Paid a LOT, for this kind of comfort/utility for next 10 years I don't regret a cent. 4 wheel drive gets me up/down drive I haven't used in years.

Favorite Features

Comfort -- leather seats are a you. My 75 yr old mother (bad back, legs) loves the car. Even though the seats are high, running boards and handles make it no problem to get in/out (even for my mother). Kids love DVD when we travel.

Suggested Improvements

I beleive I made the right choice with the diesel engine. Fuel economy is excellent (imho) for a vehicle this size. I just wish I could get it to be a bit quieter. Inside is no problem, but it is undeniably a diesel when you're standing next to it.