Used 2004 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Most Helpful|
Great SUV love it!
By 3kiddad

2004 Ford Excursion SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck. I love the 3/4 ton durability with all the passenger and cargo capacity. Rides like truck not a car but I like it.

Favorite Features

Size, durability, towing capacity, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Steering needs improvement.

302k miles and no problems
By veblenesque

2004 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is amazing. It is amazingly big, tall, fuel inefficient, and difficult to maneuver. But I've got 302,000 miles on the original 5.4l engine and transmission (which works out to 20,000 gallons, or $80,000, of gas). This is a serious SUV that should only be used by those who need it. Even with a V8, it is surprisingly slow. You need to pay attention when you're driving it, and a long trip can be stressful. But it holds a lot and is surprisingly competent offroad.

Favorite Features

Big, reliable, good seats.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is not yuppie - plain, cheap plastic. Obviously gas mileage is bad, but only about 30% worse than many crossovers. Poor handling, braking, and ride quality.

The SUV's SUV
By CB

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

King of the Road. Great SUV if you are going to be in the car alot. Fuel economy is not great, but also not bad when compared to closet rivals like Tahoe or Expedition. Only downside I see after owning for all these years is it is not the best car to maneuver around in stop and go traffic. Great on the highways and trips over an hour. If they made a newer one I would buy it. Would like to see a little better fuel efficiency maybe 15 mpg. Solid safety - I would hate to be in a car that impacts an Excursion.

Favorite Features

Big, powerful SUV that does it all. Roomy for up to eight (perferably kids in the third row) plenty of cargo. easy highway ride.

Luv my Excursion
By scoop

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I love the roominess and all its options, especially the heated seats and the radio controls on the steering wheel. It's roomy enough for me, my husband and my mother and everyone is comfortable and can see out. I've taken two ski trips to Colorado and it holds all our gear and gets around in the mountains wonderfully. We get good use out of the DVD player with the dual features of using the DVD while listening to the CD player. Those 15 hour trips to Steamboat don't seem so long when you have "The Great Escape" playing on the DVD. 18.9 miles to the gallon traveling to Colorado. If you want a comfy, big, monster truck, this one is for you. This truck has it all, go get one and enjoy it.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the steering column, heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, DVD player with wireless headsets, cup holders, size and sound.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof would be nice.

Gr8 Truck!
By Paulo

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Great truck! Great performance! Excellent towing capacity and gas mileage in the city and road. Very happy about it.

Favorite Features

Performance!

Suggested Improvements

More precise steering wheel.