Used 2004 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The road warrior
By mike

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We are very happy with the Ford Excursion! Seats 8 comfortably. We love the four wheel drive. Excellent towing, lots of cargo space. Has 33" tires and drives great! Love the front and rear AC, DVD, and wireless headphones great for the kids.

Height of truck, DVD, and headphones

Needs ipod/mp3 music port

302k miles and no problems
By veblenesque

2004 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is amazing. It is amazingly big, tall, fuel inefficient, and difficult to maneuver. But I've got 302,000 miles on the original 5.4l engine and transmission (which works out to 20,000 gallons, or $80,000, of gas). This is a serious SUV that should only be used by those who need it. Even with a V8, it is surprisingly slow. You need to pay attention when you're driving it, and a long trip can be stressful. But it holds a lot and is surprisingly competent offroad.

Big, reliable, good seats.

Interior is not yuppie - plain, cheap plastic. Obviously gas mileage is bad, but only about 30% worse than many crossovers. Poor handling, braking, and ride quality.

Love this Ford
By vicratz

2004 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had zero problems with my Excursion and I'm impressed! It drives as well today and it drove when I bought it. The steering wheel leather doesn't hold up well but that's about it.

Diesel Limited
By JUDOMAN007

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Bought new and have been driving since. I have 105,000 miles and still have original tires, brakes. Mileage has been an average of 16.8-16.9 though I do mostly highway driving. Only problem I had was the alternator went around 75,000 miles and parts are expensive for this big truck. It is fun to drive and can carry just abuot anything! Great value, too bad they got rid of this truck line!

The DVD player is great for trips and for killing time while parked somewhere and the backup alarms are definitely needed with this land yacht! The long wheelbase allows for great handling and some speedy corners!

Bring this truck back! Put the new twin turbo diesel in it to bring gas mileage up some more and I will get another!

Wish they still made these....
By naaziz

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I own a 6.0 Turbodiesel. This is one of a kind. Bought it for towing capacity (Have my Prius for commuting & Range Rover for off roading) and I am surprised how fond I have become of this truck. It is a shame Ford discontinued this truck. For space, power and functionality, nothing comes close. I have hauled plywood in the back (with doors closed), multiple people with their bags and a 6000lb boat behind me and it does not even break a sweat. I am planning on holding on to this truck as I do not know of any other vehicle on the market that offers all the functionality that Excursion offers. Unlike other reviews, I think mileage is fine for size and weight of the truck.

Torque/Towing capacity, room, versatility, ride (for a truck). Even with the issues that I have had, I still really appreciate this vehicle.

Improve quality (Turbo replaced 3 times in first year), front seat head rests are not very functional, steering is vague. But I guess, none of these matter as they have ceased production. (I have come to understand the term Fix or repair Daily... take this comment with a grain of salt).