Used 2004 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Excursion SUV

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The SUV's SUV
By CB

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

King of the Road. Great SUV if you are going to be in the car alot. Fuel economy is not great, but also not bad when compared to closet rivals like Tahoe or Expedition. Only downside I see after owning for all these years is it is not the best car to maneuver around in stop and go traffic. Great on the highways and trips over an hour. If they made a newer one I would buy it. Would like to see a little better fuel efficiency maybe 15 mpg. Solid safety - I would hate to be in a car that impacts an Excursion.

Favorite Features

Big, powerful SUV that does it all. Roomy for up to eight (perferably kids in the third row) plenty of cargo. easy highway ride.

The road warrior
By mike

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We are very happy with the Ford Excursion! Seats 8 comfortably. We love the four wheel drive. Excellent towing, lots of cargo space. Has 33" tires and drives great! Love the front and rear AC, DVD, and wireless headphones great for the kids.

Favorite Features

Height of truck, DVD, and headphones

Suggested Improvements

Needs ipod/mp3 music port

302k miles and no problems
By veblenesque

2004 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is amazing. It is amazingly big, tall, fuel inefficient, and difficult to maneuver. But I've got 302,000 miles on the original 5.4l engine and transmission (which works out to 20,000 gallons, or $80,000, of gas). This is a serious SUV that should only be used by those who need it. Even with a V8, it is surprisingly slow. You need to pay attention when you're driving it, and a long trip can be stressful. But it holds a lot and is surprisingly competent offroad.

Favorite Features

Big, reliable, good seats.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is not yuppie - plain, cheap plastic. Obviously gas mileage is bad, but only about 30% worse than many crossovers. Poor handling, braking, and ride quality.

Love this Ford
By vicratz

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had zero problems with my Excursion and I'm impressed! It drives as well today and it drove when I bought it. The steering wheel leather doesn't hold up well but that's about it.

Diesel Limited
By JUDOMAN007

2004 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Bought new and have been driving since. I have 105,000 miles and still have original tires, brakes. Mileage has been an average of 16.8-16.9 though I do mostly highway driving. Only problem I had was the alternator went around 75,000 miles and parts are expensive for this big truck. It is fun to drive and can carry just abuot anything! Great value, too bad they got rid of this truck line!

Favorite Features

The DVD player is great for trips and for killing time while parked somewhere and the backup alarms are definitely needed with this land yacht! The long wheelbase allows for great handling and some speedy corners!

Suggested Improvements

Bring this truck back! Put the new twin turbo diesel in it to bring gas mileage up some more and I will get another!