Used 2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Towing vehicle only...
By skierrick

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought this vehicle to tow a 32 ft trailer 8500 lbs over the east coast. Was getting 7mpg with a 2005 expedition, went to 17mpg on the excursion. Did have to replace the turbo, the injector 8 and a starter. But its the only 4x4 diesel suv on the market. If the truck survives a year, without more problems, I'll probably have it until the frame dies.

Size, fuel tank size, towing

Although it was discontinued because of environmental groups, it gets a better mpg than my expedition. The camping population needs a diesel SUV. Not all families wantnto tow in a pick up

Bad Engine
By GW

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck except the 6.0L Diesel has a factory defect. The head bolts stretch. Blew a head gasket just before warranty was up. Over $5000 cost to repair. They remove the body to repair the engine which disturbs many electrical and other connections. Some owners have to pay after warranty is up. I like it but not sure I would buy another Ford after this engine. Check the internet before buying regarding this engine.

Comfort, Power

Limited 6.0
By judoman

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a Suburban, but wanted a diesel, so i researched the Excursion and got the diesel. I do almost all highway driving, so went the first 120,000 on the original tires! The only was problem was the alternator that was $500. Now at @ 165,000, have minor problems from letting truck sit during the summer and using my Honda for gas mileage!

love the size, tho surprisingly other drivers still don't 'see' the truck when they drive!

Always wanted a sunroof, I was surprised it was not an option, as it is available on the pick ups!

The BEAST!
By Raf

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 04, Limited, Diesel Excursion. I LOVE IT!! YES the gas milage is bad and Yes it does turn like an aircraft carrier but I knew that going into it. I bought it to pull my 30ft travel trailer and my family of six down to Texas from Alaska. It did it with no problems!! I would recommend this vehicle to any large family (weather they had to travel or not).

Rear DVD (for the kiddos), rear sensors (!!) and all the room!!

Better gas milage would be nice.

The Best Family Vehicle on the Planet
By AK Force

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This SUV can tow anything, haul the wife, 3 kids, dog, gear-and gets GREAT mpg. The truck is large, but it's shorter than a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup. It gets much better gas mileage than a Durango with more space - WAY more. Although it's a 3/4 ton, it rides smoothly, and talk about power - I towed my 27ft travel trailer from VA to FL at speeds averaging 65-70 mph and it never once kicked out of overdrive - and I got a solid 12 mpg out of it - the 2002 Yukon XLT I traded in didn't come close - about 7.5 mpg with less tow capacity. With no trailer I averaged almost 20 mpg HWY. I went 802 miles without filling up. Size, power, range, leather, DVD - it's the dream SUV for any RV/Truck/Family guy

My favorite feature is its total utility! A muscular diesel tied to a luxuriously comfortable SUV with leather seating for 7 (2nd row captain's chairs) is a dream come true. Whether towing my RV or keeping the kids amused with a DVD, there's no other truck on the planet with such a total package.

I'd stiffen the ride up a little to tighten up the turns. Strengthen Ford corporate backbone; advertise the diesel, the power, the MPG. Put the PSD badge on the door; I'm amazed how few folks know the PSD availble on the X. Discontinuing this gem is a mistake made by scared executives - C'mon Ford!