2004 Ford Excursion Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
Towing vehicle only...
By skierrick on 01/14/12 17:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought this vehicle to tow a 32 ft trailer 8500 lbs over the east coast. Was getting 7mpg with a 2005 expedition, went to 17mpg on the excursion. Did have to replace the turbo, the injector 8 and a starter. But its the only 4x4 diesel suv on the market. If the truck survives a year, without more problems, I'll probably have it until the frame dies.

Bad Engine
By GW on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck except the 6.0L Diesel has a factory defect. The head bolts stretch. Blew a head gasket just before warranty was up. Over $5000 cost to repair. They remove the body to repair the engine which disturbs many electrical and other connections. Some owners have to pay after warranty is up. I like it but not sure I would buy another Ford after this engine. Check the internet before buying regarding this engine.

Limited 6.0
By judoman on 02/24/10 05:29 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a Suburban, but wanted a diesel, so i researched the Excursion and got the diesel. I do almost all highway driving, so went the first 120,000 on the original tires! The only was problem was the alternator that was $500. Now at @ 165,000, have minor problems from letting truck sit during the summer and using my Honda for gas mileage!

The BEAST!
By Raf on 01/04/10 11:59 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 04, Limited, Diesel Excursion. I LOVE IT!! YES the gas milage is bad and Yes it does turn like an aircraft carrier but I knew that going into it. I bought it to pull my 30ft travel trailer and my family of six down to Texas from Alaska. It did it with no problems!! I would recommend this vehicle to any large family (weather they had to travel or not).

The Best Family Vehicle on the Planet
By AK Force on 12/20/04 23:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This SUV can tow anything, haul the wife, 3 kids, dog, gear-and gets GREAT mpg. The truck is large, but it's shorter than a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup. It gets much better gas mileage than a Durango with more space - WAY more. Although it's a 3/4 ton, it rides smoothly, and talk about power - I towed my 27ft travel trailer from VA to FL at speeds averaging 65-70 mph and it never once kicked out of overdrive - and I got a solid 12 mpg out of it - the 2002 Yukon XLT I traded in didn't come close - about 7.5 mpg with less tow capacity. With no trailer I averaged almost 20 mpg HWY. I went 802 miles without filling up. Size, power, range, leather, DVD - it's the dream SUV for any RV/Truck/Family guy

ford
By mahdey on 11/11/04 14:24 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

this is a great SUV, that is extremely utilitarian, and very powerful. Lights up the rear wheels with ease and a great trail rig. Took it with me, toured europe and the middle east. pulling up at a stop light and leaving other cars in the dust was great. Also i averaged a range of 700 miles per tank!! I highly recommend this SUV. The diesels rock!!

Excursion-The Ultimate Highway Hauler
By Nitro276 on 11/11/04 07:44 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I cringe at referring to the mighty Excursion as an SUV since it is built on an F-250 frame, has a diesel engine option, tows up to 11,000 pounds, and performs like a truck. The Excursion is not a good choice for "around town" driving. But, if you travel a lot, and have a family or just stuff, the is nothing more practical than the big E. Three essential options: Four Wheel Drive, diesel engine, and the Trailer Tow Group. It doesn't make sense to spend the $ on this vehicle and not get 4WD. The 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel gets 20 MPG on the highway, accelerates well, and starts easily in the cold. The Trailer Tow Group has better mirrors and a rear stabilizer bar that helps in the wind.

My man hood is back
By FAMILY MAN on 11/09/04 16:06 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased in july 04 and have 5000 miles so far.Averaging 16.3 mpg.I replaced the shocks after 2 weeks with MONROE REFLEX shocks. I highly recommend this if you want the best ride and handling for this truck.Rubber mldgs on drivers side noisy. I put some back to black rubber treatment on them and noise went away.My daughter loves this truck so much she had to give it a kiss.Over 700 miles per tankful is a joy.

FORD TOUGH
By ChaplainMartinez on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This vehicle is beyond words to express what an outstanding SUV it is, This is iur fourth one, Ford Motor Company keep on making them, they are number one in all areas. EXCELLENT@@@

Love to Drive It
By BarLman on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Excursion is a 2003. I love the room and the fuel economy. Have had it over a year and have had no problems. Is the only vehicle that I have bought that I have not had to take back to the dealer and get a lot of small things fixed. Took a 5000 mile trip with it this summer and had 4 adults and three children in it. All were very comfortable. My fuel economy is 18 to 20 mpg at 70mph+ and 14 to 15 mpg in the city. There is no comparison to my wife's Chrysler Town and Country mini van. The Excursion is more comfortable.