2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
Bad Engine
By GW on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck except the 6.0L Diesel has a factory defect. The head bolts stretch. Blew a head gasket just before warranty was up. Over $5000 cost to repair. They remove the body to repair the engine which disturbs many electrical and other connections. Some owners have to pay after warranty is up. I like it but not sure I would buy another Ford after this engine. Check the internet before buying regarding this engine.

The Best Family Vehicle on the Planet
By AK Force on 12/20/04 23:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This SUV can tow anything, haul the wife, 3 kids, dog, gear-and gets GREAT mpg. The truck is large, but it's shorter than a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup. It gets much better gas mileage than a Durango with more space - WAY more. Although it's a 3/4 ton, it rides smoothly, and talk about power - I towed my 27ft travel trailer from VA to FL at speeds averaging 65-70 mph and it never once kicked out of overdrive - and I got a solid 12 mpg out of it - the 2002 Yukon XLT I traded in didn't come close - about 7.5 mpg with less tow capacity. With no trailer I averaged almost 20 mpg HWY. I went 802 miles without filling up. Size, power, range, leather, DVD - it's the dream SUV for any RV/Truck/Family guy

ford
By mahdey on 11/11/04 14:24 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

this is a great SUV, that is extremely utilitarian, and very powerful. Lights up the rear wheels with ease and a great trail rig. Took it with me, toured europe and the middle east. pulling up at a stop light and leaving other cars in the dust was great. Also i averaged a range of 700 miles per tank!! I highly recommend this SUV. The diesels rock!!

Excursion-The Ultimate Highway Hauler
By Nitro276 on 11/11/04 07:44 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I cringe at referring to the mighty Excursion as an SUV since it is built on an F-250 frame, has a diesel engine option, tows up to 11,000 pounds, and performs like a truck. The Excursion is not a good choice for "around town" driving. But, if you travel a lot, and have a family or just stuff, the is nothing more practical than the big E. Three essential options: Four Wheel Drive, diesel engine, and the Trailer Tow Group. It doesn't make sense to spend the $ on this vehicle and not get 4WD. The 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel gets 20 MPG on the highway, accelerates well, and starts easily in the cold. The Trailer Tow Group has better mirrors and a rear stabilizer bar that helps in the wind.

driving great
By morin on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

had to add a pro stering dampner to the beast [with respect to the big girl],it was all it needed,other than that its always dependable for us,and confert for us is great,gas mil nis about 26 on freeway,19 to 21 in city,i cant complane,ac in unit will freeze you out.its like a meat locker,the power is a monster,and thats before you give it gas,when that happens,hold on to your head please.as you can see,i like real power and quilty,and this is it!!!!!!!!!!1

The Perfect SUV
By DaBeast on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

All I can say is that the only way to own this SUV is to have the 6.0 Turbo diesel, and you get used to the sound. The gas mileage is incredible for a vehicle this size whether in town or towing! We have owned many Ford vehicles over time (F-150, Bronco, Expedition) primarily for towing a large boat over long distances. Nothing we have owned has even come close to comparing in towing quality and interior quantity. This SUV is made to tow! The 6.0 coupled with the regearing of the Transmission in "Tow" mode makes this SUV superior over any other SUV. The interior room is just another added bonus. Especially for hauling all the gear, kids, and dogs.

This is why we need an Excursion.
By Ron Greisel on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my families fifth Excursion. We make 50 mile round trip to take 5 kids to school each week day and 50 miles to pick up in afternoon. Also 200 mile round trip to the city each weekend for shopping.

Never owned a vehicle I liked so well
By OwnerInOhio on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have four teenage sons and sometimes tow a 5000lb boat. I bought the diesel for fuel economy -- getting 16-22mph. It took a short while to get used driving this large vehicle, but now I LOVE driving this car. Trips are a joy with the entertainment package. NO new car "little problems" (yet, at 3500 miles). I tend to buy new cars and keep them for 10 years. I believe I made a very good choice for the next 10. Also very impressed with how solidly this vehicle seems to be built, inside and out. Paid a LOT, for this kind of comfort/utility for next 10 years I don't regret a cent. 4 wheel drive gets me up/down drive I haven't used in years.

*****
By montana on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Towing Perfect 10 Space Perfect 10 Gas Mileage 5 12.1 towing 13 normal Power Perfect 10 This SUV is perfect if you need to tow and dont mind the big gas bill. Lots of space and power to do whatever towing job you may need.

Diesel Excursion
By duner on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Eddie bauer Diesel excursion is a fine truck.18k miles on 6.0 diesel has gobs of power and torque and we get 21 mpg at 70 plus cruising and 10 plus mpg when towering our 9000# toy hauler. We have not had any issues with the truck except for squeeking of the rubber door seals when it was new , these went away after a month or so "worn in i guess" Excellent brakes, added load riderite bags in rear for extra stabiloity and leveling. Its a big truck in the city