Used 2004 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Towing vehicle only...
By skierrick

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought this vehicle to tow a 32 ft trailer 8500 lbs over the east coast. Was getting 7mpg with a 2005 expedition, went to 17mpg on the excursion. Did have to replace the turbo, the injector 8 and a starter. But its the only 4x4 diesel suv on the market. If the truck survives a year, without more problems, I'll probably have it until the frame dies.

Favorite Features

Size, fuel tank size, towing

Suggested Improvements

Although it was discontinued because of environmental groups, it gets a better mpg than my expedition. The camping population needs a diesel SUV. Not all families wantnto tow in a pick up

Bad Engine
By GW

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck except the 6.0L Diesel has a factory defect. The head bolts stretch. Blew a head gasket just before warranty was up. Over $5000 cost to repair. They remove the body to repair the engine which disturbs many electrical and other connections. Some owners have to pay after warranty is up. I like it but not sure I would buy another Ford after this engine. Check the internet before buying regarding this engine.

Favorite Features

Comfort, Power

Limited 6.0
By judoman

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a Suburban, but wanted a diesel, so i researched the Excursion and got the diesel. I do almost all highway driving, so went the first 120,000 on the original tires! The only was problem was the alternator that was $500. Now at @ 165,000, have minor problems from letting truck sit during the summer and using my Honda for gas mileage!

Favorite Features

love the size, tho surprisingly other drivers still don't 'see' the truck when they drive!

Suggested Improvements

Always wanted a sunroof, I was surprised it was not an option, as it is available on the pick ups!

The BEAST!
By Raf

2004 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 04, Limited, Diesel Excursion. I LOVE IT!! YES the gas milage is bad and Yes it does turn like an aircraft carrier but I knew that going into it. I bought it to pull my 30ft travel trailer and my family of six down to Texas from Alaska. It did it with no problems!! I would recommend this vehicle to any large family (weather they had to travel or not).

Favorite Features

Rear DVD (for the kiddos), rear sensors (!!) and all the room!!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage would be nice.

The SUV's SUV
By CB

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

King of the Road. Great SUV if you are going to be in the car alot. Fuel economy is not great, but also not bad when compared to closet rivals like Tahoe or Expedition. Only downside I see after owning for all these years is it is not the best car to maneuver around in stop and go traffic. Great on the highways and trips over an hour. If they made a newer one I would buy it. Would like to see a little better fuel efficiency maybe 15 mpg. Solid safety - I would hate to be in a car that impacts an Excursion.

Favorite Features

Big, powerful SUV that does it all. Roomy for up to eight (perferably kids in the third row) plenty of cargo. easy highway ride.