2004 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
Towing vehicle only...
By skierrick on 01/14/12 17:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Bought this vehicle to tow a 32 ft trailer 8500 lbs over the east coast. Was getting 7mpg with a 2005 expedition, went to 17mpg on the excursion. Did have to replace the turbo, the injector 8 and a starter. But its the only 4x4 diesel suv on the market. If the truck survives a year, without more problems, I'll probably have it until the frame dies.

Bad Engine
By GW on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck except the 6.0L Diesel has a factory defect. The head bolts stretch. Blew a head gasket just before warranty was up. Over $5000 cost to repair. They remove the body to repair the engine which disturbs many electrical and other connections. Some owners have to pay after warranty is up. I like it but not sure I would buy another Ford after this engine. Check the internet before buying regarding this engine.

Limited 6.0
By judoman on 02/24/10 05:29 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Had a Suburban, but wanted a diesel, so i researched the Excursion and got the diesel. I do almost all highway driving, so went the first 120,000 on the original tires! The only was problem was the alternator that was $500. Now at @ 165,000, have minor problems from letting truck sit during the summer and using my Honda for gas mileage!

The BEAST!
By Raf on 01/04/10 11:59 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 04, Limited, Diesel Excursion. I LOVE IT!! YES the gas milage is bad and Yes it does turn like an aircraft carrier but I knew that going into it. I bought it to pull my 30ft travel trailer and my family of six down to Texas from Alaska. It did it with no problems!! I would recommend this vehicle to any large family (weather they had to travel or not).

The SUV's SUV
By CB on 06/30/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

King of the Road. Great SUV if you are going to be in the car alot. Fuel economy is not great, but also not bad when compared to closet rivals like Tahoe or Expedition. Only downside I see after owning for all these years is it is not the best car to maneuver around in stop and go traffic. Great on the highways and trips over an hour. If they made a newer one I would buy it. Would like to see a little better fuel efficiency maybe 15 mpg. Solid safety - I would hate to be in a car that impacts an Excursion.

The road warrior
By mike on 09/01/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We are very happy with the Ford Excursion! Seats 8 comfortably. We love the four wheel drive. Excellent towing, lots of cargo space. Has 33" tires and drives great! Love the front and rear AC, DVD, and wireless headphones great for the kids.

302k miles and no problems
By veblenesque on 05/26/08 16:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is amazing. It is amazingly big, tall, fuel inefficient, and difficult to maneuver. But I've got 302,000 miles on the original 5.4l engine and transmission (which works out to 20,000 gallons, or $80,000, of gas). This is a serious SUV that should only be used by those who need it. Even with a V8, it is surprisingly slow. You need to pay attention when you're driving it, and a long trip can be stressful. But it holds a lot and is surprisingly competent offroad.

Love this Ford
By vicratz on 09/29/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had zero problems with my Excursion and I'm impressed! It drives as well today and it drove when I bought it. The steering wheel leather doesn't hold up well but that's about it.

Diesel Limited
By JUDOMAN007 on 05/17/07 02:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Bought new and have been driving since. I have 105,000 miles and still have original tires, brakes. Mileage has been an average of 16.8-16.9 though I do mostly highway driving. Only problem I had was the alternator went around 75,000 miles and parts are expensive for this big truck. It is fun to drive and can carry just abuot anything! Great value, too bad they got rid of this truck line!

Wish they still made these....
By naaziz on 02/07/07 20:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I own a 6.0 Turbodiesel. This is one of a kind. Bought it for towing capacity (Have my Prius for commuting & Range Rover for off roading) and I am surprised how fond I have become of this truck. It is a shame Ford discontinued this truck. For space, power and functionality, nothing comes close. I have hauled plywood in the back (with doors closed), multiple people with their bags and a 6000lb boat behind me and it does not even break a sweat. I am planning on holding on to this truck as I do not know of any other vehicle on the market that offers all the functionality that Excursion offers. Unlike other reviews, I think mileage is fine for size and weight of the truck.