Used 2003 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Best SUV Around
By Ed Riley

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Excursion. We have traveled nationwide with a family of six and all were comfortable. It handles great in mountains or deserts. I get about 20 mpg on the highway and 15 mpg in town.

Favorite Features

I love the size and the weight of the vehicle. I also work out of it and can pull any trailer and carry as much as I could in a pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Don't ever put on all terrain tires and expect a quiet ride. I'm also sad that they will not be made by Ford anymore.

big is better
By sammyk

2003 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This is the second Excursion I've owned. The first had the V-10 and really bad mileage. The 6.0 diesel is very powerfull and gets GREAT mileage for the size of the vehicle. On the highway, I average 24 MPG at 75 MPH. My Jeep Wrangler gets a paltry 15 MPG's. We have had a few minor, but annoying problems, particularly electrical ( A/C looses power.. just shuts off ) but far less than the problems we had with the 2000 V-10 ( also electrical, interior lights would blink on and off everytime it rained and it rains a lot in FLorida ). Overall, this vehicle represents the best value for people / cargo around.

Favorite Features

Economy, power, comfort, and especially the "feel" of absolute safety, knowing you're the biggest, badest SUV on the road. My 5 foot, 105 lb. wife REALLY loves it ( must be a chick thing ;)

Suggested Improvements

Get the electrical system right !! and redesign the window rims so that water doesn't pour in if you crack open a window in a rainstorm ( even 1/2 an inch ). Wind noise is annoying. Ford should keep building this vehicle, but ONLY offer it in the diesel. GREAT Mileage !!!!

Great Truck
By brooks white

2003 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Pay extra for the Diesel Engine, it is worth for the fuel economy. The new Turbo 6.0 engine is Fabulous and surprisingly quiet.

Favorite Features

Make sure that you get the towing mirrors, it makes a huge difference seeing around the huge blind spots.

Love my Excursion
By andi lee

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is the second Excursion we have owned. Our first model had the 7.3 diesel engine and was a 2000 model. We loved it too but was a bit noisey. After the new 6.0 diesel was available we opted for this newer model. This is a traveler's dream. We average about 18mpg overall (includes intown miles). It is very comfortable and can get our entire family and "stuff" in the vehicle. It also pulls the hound out of a cattle trailer. Love my Excursion!

Favorite Features

Front captain chairs are like having a Lazy-Boy on wheels. No problem keeping it cool, even in Texas summers. Better mileage than lots of SUV's. Get a diesel..too big for gas engine. Great ride.

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise. Needs better fit. That is only complaint but wind noise is no worse than most other vehicles have owned.

Great SUV
By Sailer

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is a great family truck for those who tow. Room is a big plus. Mileage is good in the diesel. Avgerage 18 highway 16 city. Towing avg is 12.

Favorite Features

size and power