2003 Ford Excursion XLT Value SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Excursion Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Sort Reviews by

When you have to take everything with you!
By chuckt6

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

2 big dogs(50 lbs and 90 lbs), 3 kids, The wife and I, and all our travel stuff fit fine in this monster. We purchased ours in 2010 with 122,000 miles on it. We've put 20K miles on it with minimal problems. We did replaced the ball joints($900) and put in new spark plugs($600). Great value for the vehicle, all leather, and comfortable. We purchased ours from a private party for $7400. The V10 engine is a gas hog, but will go for 300K miles. Same engine used in buses and limo's. Average about 12 mpg, but it that is better than driving two cars and getting 20 mpg in each car.

Favorite Features

The adjustable pedals and memory seats are a great feature for my wife an I. She is 5 feet and I am 6' 4". The code pad to unlock the door is also a great feature, it makes it easy to switch vehicles because she can just leave the keys in it for me.

Long Live the Beast
By Forest

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel new in September 2003. It does double duty as the company truck and the family hauler. We tow our 34' 10,000 lb trailer on long family vacations. Estimate that we have towed the travel trailer at least 30,000 miles since 2003. Everybody is comfortable on long road trips and we have plenty of room left over. We did one ski trip to Colorado with only the truck and 6 people (and all equipment) on board. Went 75 mph and got over 18 mpg for the trip. Truck is very stable in slippery conditions. It is a bit clumsy around town, but heck--it is a truck. Too bad we may never see such a vehicle sold for the American family again.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine Towing capability Cargo room Comfort on a long trip Fuel efficiency for its size

Suggested Improvements

Air suspension Improved suspension travel

Love our X!
By New Jersey

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We use this vehicle for daily use, trips and to tow our 33ft TT. We could not be happier, Gas mileage is awesome with the Diesel. My wife loves driving this thing daily and we love the space we have when traveling. The DVD player has saved us many times on trips. Our stock tires (The Pirelli's) lasted us 85,000 miles and I am still on the stock brake pads. Buy one before they are all gone!

Favorite Features

Interior space, availability of Diesel, towing power

Suggested Improvements

Dash upgrade would have been nice and of course for Ford to continue to make it or something similiar. I hate they discontinued it. If anyone wants to start a writing campaign to Ford - Contact me!

Ultimate tow vehicle
By c wallace

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

My Excurision is a 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel, as of Jan 2009 it has 83,000 miles with no major problems. This is the tow vehicle to have if you have a large family. We can put our three kids, all of their stuff, the dog, and all of me and the wife's stuff and trek out with no worries. This includes towing a holiday rambler 33 foot trailer. I have a few modification that I recommend for power and fuel economy. Because I put a two inch lift, 315 75 16 tires, and aftermarket front and rear bumpers with a front winch on it my fuel mileage decreased. I added a banks intercooler, cold air intake, power pda, and a magnaflow four inch turbo back exhaust. What a difference!

Best of the Hosses
By cruiser

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

My first Excursion. Traded my F350 Superduty 7.3. My Excrusion has all of the towing power of the truck but beats the pants off every other aspect. Great ride, 17-18 city mpg. Haven' taken long trip yet. Has 90000 miles and purrs like a kitten. No major repairs since new. Can't wait to hit the road with my 37' camper. My 350 did great and I expect the Excursion to be that and more. Love. My wife has taken it over to use in her business. I am relagated to driving her sedan for now.

Favorite Features

Have every feature you can get. Wife loves the ability to moved the gas and brake pedal up to meet her feet. The only feature I didn't get is the DVD entertainment center. Wish I had. I installed a 19 inch flat screen on the back of the console. Kids love it.

Suggested Improvements

Superchip for mpg and HP.

Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
By kevins3

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

My vehicle has 55,000 miles and is 3 yrs old. I am very happy with it except the problem with the 4x4 not disengaging and the ball joints needing to be replaced already. But driving it to the south is great; a joy to drive. Got 18.2 miles to the gallon.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Must use ball joints that have grease fittings and everything else that needs greased should have fittings.

The Beast
By Rick Rick

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I was looking for an SUV after my son was in a car wreck and suffered brain damage and a broken back, among many other injuries. I needed an SUV with enough room in it to carry my son's electric scooter while also having enough room for him to stretch out and lay down too; he's 6' 3". At the time it was very hard for him to travel more than 30 minutes without laying down.

Favorite Features

Running boards, powerpoints, cupholders, awesome towing capability, tranny cooler gauge, looks/styling, V-10.

Suggested Improvements

GPS system.

All the room we need
By safety first

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck when we had our third child. I had never owned a truck but I loved my husband's Expedition. In fact, I wanted to buy an Expedition because I thought the Excursion was too big. But my husband wanted us in the biggest vehicle possible in case of an accident. Turns out I am very happy with the Excursion because of the amount of room behind the third row seat. With a large baby stroller back there and a full load of groceries or Christmas presents, I use up the entire space. Not to mention the times I am carrying an unusual load like rented tables and chairs or landscaping plants. I can get everything I need on one trip, saving me time, aggravation and gas.

Favorite Features

Space!

Suggested Improvements

The interior is very plain, cheap looking compared to the other large SUV's.

Luv my Excursion
By RBR

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I have the Powerstroke 6.0 diesel. Use truck for towing 32' travel trailer - works great. Interior seats are very spacious and comfortable. 20mph hwy/16 city. Towing 12 - 13 mpg. Will hate to see it discontinued.

Favorite Features

Front seats, rear double door, interior cargo options, Powerstroke 6.0l diesel

Suggested Improvements

Electric mirror extend/retract capability.

I LOVE my Excursion!
By Carrie Mullen

2003 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

The Excursion is so comfortable! The 7 people in my family, including 2 teenagers, fit wonderfully in this vehicle. Road trips are a breeze! It takes a little time to get used to parking this beast, but it's well worth the effort. I am saddened that this vehicle will not be made after 2005.

Favorite Features

Interior space, smooth ride.