Used 2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

MY 4TH EXCURSION
By TONY COX

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I LIVE IN TEXAS WHERE IT IS TURE WE TRAVEL 22 MILES JUST FOR BREAKFAST. THIS VEHICLE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR CAMPING AND TRAVELING, TOWING. THIS NEW 6.0 DIESEL IS QUITE AND HAS PLENTY OF GO POWER. THE BEST NEW FEATURE IS THE 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION. VERY COMFORTABLE OVER LONG DISTANT EXCURSIONS.

OUR ANNUAL VACATION THIS YEAR WAS 12 NATIONAL PARKS AND SIX WEEKS CAMPING IN THE FAR WEST. THE EASE OF USE IS EXCITING NEW TRUCK GAVE US GREAT CONFIDENCE TO GO TO SOME VERY OUT OF THE WAS PLACES WITHOUT FEAR OF NOT COMING BACK!

WHAT I DO WHEN I GET A NEW EXCURSION IS TO REPLACE THE SHOCKS WITH OFF ROAD ADJUSTABLE AIR SHOCKS. THE RIDE ACTUALLY IMPROVES FRONT AND REAR. THE VEHICLE IS SOMEHAT UNDER TIRED. 285X70X16 BF GOODRICH A/T IS THE CORRECT TIRE FOR THIS 8,000 LB. TRUCK.

2003 Excursion 6.0L
By dancon

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased this vehicle because the other one's, Hummer,Suburban,Explorer,etc. have all downsized the interior room. My head hit the ceiling on almost all the other ones.

Great gas mileage, running 17.3 per gal.

Allow the purchase of performance chips through the dealers.

FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET
By Arthur Martin

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Excursion is the best kept secret. the 6.0 Turbo Diesel gets excellent fuel mileage, I don't know where the critics get there 411 on fuel economy? I wouyld take an Excursion over a Suburban any day.

6.0 TURBO DIESEL-INTERIOR ROOM

KEEP MAKING THEM,THEY ARE FORDS BEST KEPT SECRET!

6.0 Diesel Works For Me
By jberg

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my Excursion in June and have put on 8200 miles since. Most use is at 75 to 80 mph on highway trips without a trailer. On those trips, I get over 20 mpg. I have a 28' transporter which I use to haul ATV's and camp in. With the loaded trailer behind it, the mpg drops down to 11. I can pull the trailer both up and down hill as fast as I care to.

Power is impressive. Without a trailer, it stays in 5th gear from the time I leave Salt Lake City till I get to Denver.

As with most SUV's I would like brighter backup lights. I also wish it did not have the 3rd seat which I never use. With the 3rd seat removed and the 2nd laid down the floor is not flat.

Great Family and Tow Unit.
By Gopher19432003

2003 Ford Excursion Diesel Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We use our Excursion for family vacations and towing a 35' travel trailer. This is a wonderful vehicle. It is well made, powerful, quiet and gets surprisingly good mileage. On diesel fuel, we average 18 MPG in town and 22 on the highway. When pulling the trailer, highway mileage drops to 19. I have never had a vehicle that can handle a trailer this large with such ease. I can drive all day and not fell beat.

Powerful and quiet diesel engine. Seating capacity and space.

I cannot think of a thing I would change.