Used 2003 Ford Excursion Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Long Live the Beast
By Forest

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel new in September 2003. It does double duty as the company truck and the family hauler. We tow our 34' 10,000 lb trailer on long family vacations. Estimate that we have towed the travel trailer at least 30,000 miles since 2003. Everybody is comfortable on long road trips and we have plenty of room left over. We did one ski trip to Colorado with only the truck and 6 people (and all equipment) on board. Went 75 mph and got over 18 mpg for the trip. Truck is very stable in slippery conditions. It is a bit clumsy around town, but heck--it is a truck. Too bad we may never see such a vehicle sold for the American family again.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine Towing capability Cargo room Comfort on a long trip Fuel efficiency for its size

Suggested Improvements

Air suspension Improved suspension travel

Love our X!
By New Jersey

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We use this vehicle for daily use, trips and to tow our 33ft TT. We could not be happier, Gas mileage is awesome with the Diesel. My wife loves driving this thing daily and we love the space we have when traveling. The DVD player has saved us many times on trips. Our stock tires (The Pirelli's) lasted us 85,000 miles and I am still on the stock brake pads. Buy one before they are all gone!

Favorite Features

Interior space, availability of Diesel, towing power

Suggested Improvements

Dash upgrade would have been nice and of course for Ford to continue to make it or something similiar. I hate they discontinued it. If anyone wants to start a writing campaign to Ford - Contact me!

Best SUV Around
By Ed Riley

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Excursion. We have traveled nationwide with a family of six and all were comfortable. It handles great in mountains or deserts. I get about 20 mpg on the highway and 15 mpg in town.

Favorite Features

I love the size and the weight of the vehicle. I also work out of it and can pull any trailer and carry as much as I could in a pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Don't ever put on all terrain tires and expect a quiet ride. I'm also sad that they will not be made by Ford anymore.

Love my Excursion
By andi lee

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is the second Excursion we have owned. Our first model had the 7.3 diesel engine and was a 2000 model. We loved it too but was a bit noisey. After the new 6.0 diesel was available we opted for this newer model. This is a traveler's dream. We average about 18mpg overall (includes intown miles). It is very comfortable and can get our entire family and "stuff" in the vehicle. It also pulls the hound out of a cattle trailer. Love my Excursion!

Favorite Features

Front captain chairs are like having a Lazy-Boy on wheels. No problem keeping it cool, even in Texas summers. Better mileage than lots of SUV's. Get a diesel..too big for gas engine. Great ride.

Suggested Improvements

Too much wind noise. Needs better fit. That is only complaint but wind noise is no worse than most other vehicles have owned.

Great SUV
By Sailer

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This SUV is a great family truck for those who tow. Room is a big plus. Mileage is good in the diesel. Avgerage 18 highway 16 city. Towing avg is 12.

Favorite Features

size and power