Used 2003 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

The Biggest and Best SUV Ever Created
By Kurt Young

2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My current Excursion is my best Excursion by far. My first was the Limited 6.8L V10. My current Excursion exceeds and surpasses in all categories. I'll keep this one as long as parts are made for it. I see other SUVs on the road and wonder why bother. I've added after market airbag shocks which has increased the towing capabilities and smoothness of ride while towing. I tow a 10K lbs travel trailer year round, and my excursion has no problem whether pulling passes in Montana or on the long flats of Florida.

what a beast
By george dougherty

2003 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great truck - purchased in 2003 new. 180k miles. no major issues and still runs great. Last week a Dodge Ram rear ended me at thirty five miles an hour while I was stopped at a light. His truck is trashed, broken rad., power steering fluid all over the place, need to be towed. My fender is dented and tail light broken. has been on the beach, in 20 inches of snow, towed horses and other cars out of snow drifts, and has suffered my wife hitting posts etc. It keeps on going strong.

When you have to take everything with you!
By chuckt6

2003 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

big dogs(50 lbs and 90 lbs), 3 kids, The wife and I, and all our travel stuff fit fine in this monster.
We purchased ours in 2010 with 122,000 miles on it.
We've put 20K miles on it with minimal problems.
We did replaced the ball joints($900) and put in new spark plugs($600).
Great value for the vehicle, all leather, and comfortable.
We purchased ours from a private party for $7400.
The V10 engine is a gas hog, but will go for 300K miles.
Same engine used in buses and limo's.
Average about 12 mpg, but it that is better than driving two cars and getting 20 mpg in each car.

The adjustable pedals and memory seats are a great feature for my wife an I. She is 5 feet and I am 6' 4". The code pad to unlock the door is also a great feature, it makes it easy to switch vehicles because she can just leave the keys in it for me.

Long Live the Beast
By Forest

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 2003 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel new in September 2003. It does double duty as the company truck and the family hauler. We tow our 34' 10,000 lb trailer on long family vacations. Estimate that we have towed the travel trailer at least 30,000 miles since 2003. Everybody is comfortable on long road trips and we have plenty of room left over. We did one ski trip to Colorado with only the truck and 6 people (and all equipment) on board. Went 75 mph and got over 18 mpg for the trip. Truck is very stable in slippery conditions. It is a bit clumsy around town, but heck--it is a truck. Too bad we may never see such a vehicle sold for the American family again.

Diesel engine Towing capability Cargo room Comfort on a long trip Fuel efficiency for its size

Air suspension Improved suspension travel

Love our X!
By New Jersey

2003 Ford Excursion Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We use this vehicle for daily use, trips and to tow our 33ft TT. We could not be happier, Gas mileage is awesome with the Diesel. My wife loves driving this thing daily and we love the space we have when traveling. The DVD player has saved us many times on trips. Our stock tires (The Pirelli's) lasted us 85,000 miles and I am still on the stock brake pads. Buy one before they are all gone!

Interior space, availability of Diesel, towing power

Dash upgrade would have been nice and of course for Ford to continue to make it or something similiar. I hate they discontinued it. If anyone wants to start a writing campaign to Ford - Contact me!