Used 2002 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Excursion

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Either you LOVE IT or you HATE IT...
By Jenny5150

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I LOVE IT! It's comfortable to be in whether a driver or passenger (front, rear or 3rd row) and I'm 6'1"! It's not exactly a smooth ride, but I consider this vehicle a truck, not a luxury SUV. My husband I purchased it for it's function (cargo capacity and towing ability.) We bought this truck/suv knowing fully well that the fuel economy would bite. How could you think otherwise? I'm already brokenhearted knowing that Ford will no longer be making the Excursion.

Favorite Features

The Room! Lots of leg, head, shoulder & hip room no matter where you sit in the vehicle. AND there's still plenty room for cargo with 7-8 passengers!

Suggested Improvements

At this point, Ford has discontinued production of the Excursion ... which disappoints me. Such a shame because it's a great FUNctional vehicle.

peerless
By boat fancier

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At 107,000 only repair is rear end. Ford indicates no maintenance required - bad idea. 18 mpg summer, 17 winter at 75 mph. Still on original brakes. Harsh ride made up for by large comfortable seats. Excellent visibility. Upright driver position = no backache making 800 mile day quite doable. There is simply no vehicle in which you can carry as much or pull as much so far so cheaply in safety and comfort. Ford also has best am radios.

Favorite Features

Diesel. Seats. Visibility.

Suggested Improvements

If there was another way to pull 9000 pounds, elimination of solid axles would be swell.

Safety FIRST
By Twins Dad

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought this to travel with my newborn twins when they got here. What a great truck. Lots of space for toys and strollers and groceries. Never had a problem in any weather. I like the respect it gets. Known as Godzilla to family and friends. Replaced the front brakes and the exhaust to vented disks and a Banks exhaust. Just the right finishing touches. The gas is a drag to buy but as I said safety first.

Favorite Features

The roominess and the power. It never feels the road or the speed. I never worry about getting there.

Suggested Improvements

Better chip for performance AND mileage. They're available. Just not cheap

Diesel MPG
By Dan

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This vehicle is too big unless you need to tow something heavy. But the good news is that the diesel gets better gas mileage than any of the V8's in the smaller SUV's. I'm getting 17 around town, and 19-20 on the road when I keep the speed down to 60-65. With the price of fuel going ever higher, the fuel savings may someday cancel out the higher acquisition cost of the big engine. Get Michelin tires. They cut the road noise in half.

Favorite Features

Heated seat. Spacious view of the road. Huge fuel tank.

Suggested Improvements

The floor should fold flat.

road locomotive
By mijon

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Several trips from Lansing, MI, to Portland, ME nonstop, one driver and one tank of diesel (with a tailwind). Visibility and leather driver seat make driving a pleasure. I weigh 240# and get a backache driving luxury sedans in $40-50k range in half the time. Rock solid diesel never misses a tick at 98000 miles (but would not consider gas). Pulls better than my F350 crew long box diesel because it weighs more. Biggest problem is non support attitude of FMC. No satisfaction on missing rear sway bar, 2002 only. If Toyota or Nissan built a diesel SUV, bye-bye Ford.

Favorite Features

Diesel, front seats, visibility, weight, power.

Suggested Improvements

7.3 diesel capable of more with better electronics. Will wait and see on smaller diesel. FMC left off rear sway bar on 2002 only and this degrades tracking. No explanation or retrofit available.