Used 2002 Ford Excursion XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Excursion SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Ford SUV
By Mike

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Been a Ford fan my whole life; this monster of an SUV has never failed me what so ever. For the size it's got good mpg, and it can have plenty of people in them at once. It can tow just about any thing a truck can as well, which is good for me because I love to go camping in a camper and take my boat places.

All round great truck, lots of room, safe fun to drive you can go camping, and do just about any outdoor thing with this with little to no hold backs.

Better gas.

EXC
By lj1691

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Excursion for over 2 years and so far no major problems. I wish I had gotten the beeping bumper because I did back into a pole. That option is well worth it. The only other problem I had is that someone broke into the car on the driver's side. Nothing was taken and since I was not out there I am not sure if the alarm went off or not.

Over head air vents and extra cigarette lighter adapters.

Better gas mileage if possible. Automatic back seat instead of having to pull it at and put it somewhere when you need the extra room.

satisfied customer
By smatre

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven my diesel excursion for 71,000 trouble free miles. Used it from around town to towing, etc. I have towed 11,500 lbs from Sebrign, Fl to NC with the cruise on. My wife even drove!! It has been reliable, inexpensive vehicle to own. A little laborious to use to run to the grocery store, but if you are o the highway, it is a great truck. Pluses. Doesn't hydroplane in the WORST rainstorms, Great power 20+ MPG highway Good brakes for a vehicle of this size Handles ANY tagalong trailer you can throw at it. Good seating position drawbacks: Don't rush to get anywhere or you could get into trouble Probably could handle a little better.

Diesel, crisp transmission, rear heat controls, rear vent windows, headlights (good light at night)

Technically? a little less weight could be managed. More sophisticated front and rear suspension would improve handling and ride.

Outstanding
By RyanWSM

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Very nice. Can haul 9 people and gear anywhere...mud, snow...no problem. Plenty of HP with the V10. No brainer to pick the Excursion over the suburban.

V10 HP

miles per gallon.

No Regrets!
By Big E Afficionado

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We recently bought this Big E after many months of contemplation.(We also looked at the Sequoia and the Expedition, but there was no comparison!) After several test drives all over the state, we took the plunge. Now that we own it, we take it everywhere! Other Big E owners wave as we go by, not to mention the respect you get on the road!. Fuel mileage is incredible...16 city and 20 hwy going 65mpg (with hills).The sound of the diesel motor, inside the cabin, under normal driving conditions, is minimal. I would buy this vehicle again,and again, and again!

My favorite feature are the ease of entry for my three small sons, and I don't have to bend over to buckle the car seat into place. Very comfortable.

Arm rest could be lengthened on the captain's chairs; intercom to the back seats