Used 2002 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Excursion SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Excursion SUV

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Excursion - Still the Best SUV Ever Built
By treadlightly

2002 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We bought our Excursion to haul our friends and family around in any weather. There is no other vehicle on the market ever made that has the capability of the Ford Excursion. Ours only seats 8 adults, not like our friends Tahoe that seats 6 adults with a couple of kids squeezed between. Then to top it off it can tow 9600 lbs with 1700 lbs of people and gear. Can't do that in any other vehicle. We used to own a '97 Suburban with the 6.5L diesel. Another great vehicle, but nothing compared to the comfort, options and capabilities of the Super Duty Excursion. NO complaints other then Ford ought to make this model again. Our F250 and F350 diesels were great and very reliable, but we needed space

Size, comfort, capability and reliability.

Ford built the Super Duty Trucks and Excursions to last. These vehicles will last 30 plus years. Try that in your so called "environmentally friendly" vehicle. Won't happen. How small does that make the environmental signature. Build the Excursion again Ford!

2002 Excursion: Great truck!
By David D.

2002 Ford Excursion SUV XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought this XLT beast with the V10. Well appointed. I have the need for a big SUV because I have 4 kids and travel often. I have a 2009 SUBURBAN LTZ that I keep for special occasions. The Excursion is my utility work horse. There is no comparison to the ride, Chevy is more car like while the Excursion handles like a truck. I like the extra room the Excursion offers and the power plant is far more responsive then the Chevy. Gas MPG averages 13 while the Chevy averages just over 16. The cabin is a bit more quite with no wind shearing, but city driving can be stiff as a result of the solid axles. The truck is well built and when your on the road its obvious that you're the biggest! RESPECT!

Its size and interior space are tops. The highway ride and performance is top notch! Solid as they come and extremely safe for the most precious cargo...my children. When your on the road the respect you get is well noted. No tailgaters, and cars stay clear. Not even my Suburban gets that!

The ride is rough empty..which is not what I typically use it for. When loaded is eases up and bumps are softened.

Luv My Truck
By Luv My Truck

2002 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I love my SUV. I have the Turbo Diesel and I get excellent gas milage. 21 City. When I tow my three horses @ 1200# each plus my 4500# trailer I get less around 15. Still not bad. My kids have plently of room. As my kids are 6'1, 6'2' 5'7'. So I do not know why Edmunds said leg room is bad for taller people. Not so. My truck has lots of pick up and go. When I need to pull out I do and have no problems doing so. I guess if you are a timid driver and think you can not pull out driving this truck then I say don't buy it. As for me...I will keep my Excursion and continue to haul my kids around and my horses to shows etc. It is very comfortable to drive and Its fun to drive.

Love all the cup holders. Leg space. Cargo room. Pulling my trailer. Do not even know it is in tow. Has great gas mileage and is very well built. Never had any problems with mine.

N/A

Diesel is the only way
By Jerry

2002 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This SUV with a small investment, as I did, you can produce over 23mpg which is way better that the comparible gas hogs. Fantastic ride and great traction makes it hard to sell mine but the kids are gone. I highly recommend anyone who need a camper puller or a economical kid hauler to seek out this vehicle.

The Diesel engine coupled with 4x4 traction gets you anywhere, anytime of year. This thing is a tank in the snow.

Bring back the 7.3 diesel and make new ones.

Great Truck
By BBHGUY

2002 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This truck is fantastic. It was used mostly for everyday driving and never had a complaint. When we finally asked it to tow (7000 lbs trailer), it was incredible. We towed through the mountains of West Virgina in July (95F) with the AC on and were able to set the cruise control at 65mph. This is one of the most versatile vehicles ever made.

Engine, reliability, comfort, versatility, looks, safety

I guess fuel economy, that's it.