Used 2002 Ford Excursion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Luv my Ex
By Jack

2002 Ford Excursion Limited Ultimate 2WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

bumper paint and exterior plastic finishes are lacking

This beast is Awesome
By davenfla

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

This truck is not made for a daily driver unless you are toting an army of kids, 10K + for towing, or need cavernous space for stuff. I bought this PSD 7.3 Ex for long trips, carrying 6 adults, one large dog and 10K boat. There is nothing made today that can come close, and do it effortlessly, everytime. In fact, on flat ground as I have described above, I still get 14.5 MPG. Sure there are new vehicles who can match "on paper" what the beast does but can it do it for 500k miles? Expect this PSD to outlive the vehicle, so if you keep it, be prepared to "rebuild" the vehicle a few times during it's lifetime. The Ex performs best with some after market suspension modifications, and a tuner.

11K factory tow rating. I can tow way more with a few simple OEM parts. Space... I think the space shuttle might be slightly larger. Visibility... my wife is claustrophobic, she loves driving in the beast. Functionality, easy to use but not so eay to drive around town. On the road it's a dream.

Excursion - Still the Best SUV Ever Built
By treadlightly

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We bought our Excursion to haul our friends and family around in any weather. There is no other vehicle on the market ever made that has the capability of the Ford Excursion. Ours only seats 8 adults, not like our friends Tahoe that seats 6 adults with a couple of kids squeezed between. Then to top it off it can tow 9600 lbs with 1700 lbs of people and gear. Can't do that in any other vehicle. We used to own a '97 Suburban with the 6.5L diesel. Another great vehicle, but nothing compared to the comfort, options and capabilities of the Super Duty Excursion. NO complaints other then Ford ought to make this model again. Our F250 and F350 diesels were great and very reliable, but we needed space

Size, comfort, capability and reliability.

Ford built the Super Duty Trucks and Excursions to last. These vehicles will last 30 plus years. Try that in your so called "environmentally friendly" vehicle. Won't happen. How small does that make the environmental signature. Build the Excursion again Ford!

Undisputed King of SUVs
By esperi

2002 Ford Excursion Limited Ultimate 4WD 4dr SUV (7.3L 8cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

There is not a single thing to complain about. Rides like a car. Holds 8 adults COMFORTABLY, with room for plenty of luggage. 7.3 diesel gets 18 mpg loaded up on the highway for a 9000 lb vehicle. Even has 6 cup holders available for the driver, if you forget to clean it out like I do! If you want something bigger, buy a Mack!

My wife will drive it and likes it. It can be modified as your heart desires. Looks awesome with a 3" lift and 33" tires. Gas mileage, leather, diesel, and the capability to do whatever I want.

bring it back!

2002 Excursion: Great truck!
By David D.

2002 Ford Excursion XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought this XLT beast with the V10. Well appointed. I have the need for a big SUV because I have 4 kids and travel often. I have a 2009 SUBURBAN LTZ that I keep for special occasions. The Excursion is my utility work horse. There is no comparison to the ride, Chevy is more car like while the Excursion handles like a truck. I like the extra room the Excursion offers and the power plant is far more responsive then the Chevy. Gas MPG averages 13 while the Chevy averages just over 16. The cabin is a bit more quite with no wind shearing, but city driving can be stiff as a result of the solid axles. The truck is well built and when your on the road its obvious that you're the biggest! RESPECT!

Its size and interior space are tops. The highway ride and performance is top notch! Solid as they come and extremely safe for the most precious cargo...my children. When your on the road the respect you get is well noted. No tailgaters, and cars stay clear. Not even my Suburban gets that!

The ride is rough empty..which is not what I typically use it for. When loaded is eases up and bumps are softened.