2001 Ford Excursion 5.4L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Love it and would buy

2001 Ford Excursion - Consumer Review

XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Love it and would buy it again
By wald5 on

2001 Ford Excursion XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my excursion new and have loved it. I had 2 suburbans before and liked them also. But really wanted the diesel engine. We have the 7.3 in our F-350 crewcab and loved the power and mileage. The kids love the space and the reclining 2nd seat and the powerpoints and rear stereo control. I thought it had too much backend sway, so we added a leaf or two to the suspension in the back and one in the front & larger tires. Now it handles great. Ford should have stiffened the rear suspension to handle the load it is meant to carry. Went to Yellowstone a month after we had it and got 17-19 mpg with it, and that was a lot of mountain driving.

Favorite Features

The room for the driver, my husband is 6"4". The stereo for the kids, so they can listen to music separately. Pretty happy with most everything.

Suggested Improvements

Would like longer armrests on the captains chairs for tall people. Would like the option, if we bought one again, to have the lift gate in the back instead of the 3 doors(like on the Suburbans). It should have stiffer stock suspension, don't be so worried about the ride. It's a 4x4.