Used 2001 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Excursion SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Bang for your buck for a monster beast
By junbug1970

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

The gas mileage is better than my Durango even though this truck is 10 cylinder. The best comfortable ride for long drive. Towing a 9000lbs boat feels like towing a pair of jetskiis (effortless). Three of my door actuators are not working, so I have to replace that. Parking this beast in a small parking lot takes me about 3-4 back and forth motions. Need better turning radius.

Comfort for long ride. Very good gas mileage for such a beast even when towing. Lots of room. 3rd row seats can be removed and put back easily. Sheet of 4x8 drywall will lay flat on the back.

Better turning radius.

Excursion-a fun trip and room to stretch
By FOZ

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Although this was a "Big Boat", it was still fun to drive. The power and economy of the 7.3L/TD was just awsome. We felt comfortible, safe, and secure in our "boat", even our Great Dane agreed. On several trips, the unit always performed to expectations and more. There was always enough room for everyone and everything. Even pulling a trailer was a joy. We hardly knew the trailer was there. We would gladly replace our present vehicle with a newer one (2005 being the last of the line), but for the right price. Right now they are still over priced on resale and under priced on trade values.

We liked the size, the lift gate/doors,four bucket seats, rear air/heat and controls, ride height (visability), economy(diesel), and of course the 4WD

The seat heater switches be relocated to the dash for better monititoring and have Hi/Lo function. Also courtesy access lights in doors when open.

The X is the Best
By FordXster

2001 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

With 105,000 on the X I can safely say it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. MPG is around 14.5 with the V-10! It's an all around great vehicle, especially if you need to tow. Had no problem towing a 9500 lb trailer, 70 mph, 5000 miles and averaged 13.8 mpg! With the A/C on all the way. Is has probably the quietest interior of any vehicle I have owned. Can you tell I like it?

Roomy interior, great power, impressive ride!

Shocks, sway bar, lights.

GREAT SUV
By Peter Waldman

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

No problems here! Only oil changes on my V10 with 79,000 miles Got free tires from Ford at 65,000 so can go another 75K or so before I need them again. I get 13.4 MPG with a full load (trailer, 4 passengers, gear) at 75 miles per hour from PA to FL. Without the trailer I get the same MPG with speeds of 85 on Interstate 95 just going with traffic. My Jeep Wrangler only gets 17MPG Very happy all the way around. Was thinking of getting the new Expedition LE to replace it but after renting one for 3 weeks when in NM I think I will keep this one for a few more years. It's not the money - I just like it sooo much. When towing my 7500 lb trailer I don't even know it is back there. Get 1!

Power, comfort.

Smoother ride. The new 2007 Expedition rides better that this but then my load range D tires are at 75 pounds pressure. Still not bad though.

The Best By Far!
By mike

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We're a growing family family of 5. We wanted safety, plenty of space, towing capabilities, and a touch of luxury. We love our 2001 7.3 turbo diesel Limited Edition. We have peace of mind knowing that our family would be well protected in an accident. The excursion is very roomy and accommodates our family well, including our Great Dane. Towing a 16'x7.5' enclosed trailer with ATV's inside is no problem for this SUV. It rides and drives great! The turbo makes it respond quick and not sluggish. We'd highly recommend the turbo diesel. We get about 17-18 mpg around town and about 22 mpg on the interstate. Finally, the tow package, back up sensors, and leather interior beats our old Tahoe hands down.

My wife is 5'3" and loves the back up sensors, which don't come standard on a Chevy truck. She likes knowing that even with her looking back she has the added protection of the sensors to warn her of something unexpected. Sensors were an absolute must for us and should be for you especially with kids.

Only one small issue. We don't care much for the spare tire placement. It's inside the rear storage space (the trunk area) behind the third seat and takes up a fair amount of space. Granted, the vehicle is huge and this issue hasn't been a problem for us, we just don't care for it much.