2001 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Ford Excursion SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
200 Excursion is a disappointing vehicle
By BJMittelstaedt on 04/19/06 06:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles, went to Ford for some help paying for it and they could not have cared less, I have replaced the brakes several times and none of the door locks work, I will not purchase another Ford SUV, have heard better things about GM standing behind their products. Ford Customer Service is rude and difficult to work with.

A member of our family
By John A. on 01/06/06 19:28 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

After 4 1/2 years our family still loves our "Monster Truck". At 45,000 she still looks like new and runs even better. "Anytime, anywhere or anything" is her motto! We keep her 100% Ford including all servicing. Mileage with the V10 has improved over time averaging 11.5 city and 16 highway (light foot). Minor repairs included replacing the suspension bumpers (we do not off-road), turning the front rotors and a new set of Michelin's. Large mirrors and reverse sensors are a must. Living in Miami makes a sport of parking but sitting high above traffic gives you the added security. Our family keeps cars on average 10 years. We'll let you know how she is doing in another 4 1/2 years.

reliability not good, breaks down
By toni on 12/18/05 16:54 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, with 63,000 miles on it. So far the engine blew, the torque converter was causing engine fires and the brakes have been redone 4 times because nobody can get them done right, the springs are bad on one side. Seems to me that this truck is holding up worse than my 97 Dodge Caravan that had 160,000 miles on it or my 94 Suburban with 240,000 miles on it!

I love it!
By gersfeld on 11/06/05 10:49 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We recently bought a 2001 7.3 Ltr Diesel 4x4 and I love it! It is in terrific shape for being a used vehicle and being a diesel it already gets superior gas mileage compared to my Ford Aerostar. It drives like a luxury car but has the strength and performance of a truck. It feels solid and reliable when I drive it. I hope I have it for a long time to come because I love it!

Diesel Excursion
By Patrick Stokes on 10/26/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

The truck is primarily for running my kids between NY and Il. At 65mph I average about 890 miles to a tank or about 20 mpg. I have the Limited 4WD and the Powerstroke diesel. The truck is huge and on long trips we put a twin mattress in the back for the kids to fall asleep while watching movies. This way they are quiet and don't annoy us while driving. I travel with 4 of them. The truck stalled out at about 50,000 miles for want of a fuel filter and I just replaced all the brakes at 93,000. There have been two recalls, one to check a seatbelt and the other to give me 5 new tires at 65,000 miles. No road or weather is too much for it. It is a safe place in a troubled spot.

Nice Truck. But....
By pielue on 09/26/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I bought it new. 3 times is has just shut-off by itself while I was driving both interstate and in town. Now at 96,000 the transmission went out on it. The motor on the windows is bad and the electric door lock had to be fixed. I am a woman; I do not drive it hard or haul anything. I love the room and the fact that it is a diesel.

Well worth the girth
By fossilsucka on 08/11/05 01:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I have owned several SUV's, trucks, and cars over the years, but with 3 children and several toys to haul around nothing compares to the Ford Excursion. I made do for too long in the past. Sure the thing is huge, but smart people wouldn't buy one for everyday in town use anyhow. I purchased it for weekend getaways, vacations, and hauling. With the V10 it has more than enough grunt to do whatever I ask it to!! It rides like a truck, but... hey, it is a truck!!! I find myself cheating and driving it to work daily, instead of my gas- mizer 'cause the thing is just a blast to drive! It doesn't feel near as big and heavy driving as it looks! I love my Excursion!

Livin' large
By Got Gas?? on 06/29/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

You just don't buy one of these if fuel economy is an issue to you. I will comment on all the diesel lovers that keep talking about their mileage. I bought my V-10 '01 Excursion used with 50k miles on it for the same price as a diesel with 120K miles. The diesels run about $8-$10000 more on the market. They get about 5 MPG better than my V-10. One could buy a lot of gas for $8,000. Other than a few bugs to work out; CD didn't work, 2 door actuators needed replaced -- all else is fine. I love the truck, Turns heads. Is very comfortable for my 6'3" frame. Hauls all our stuff to the lake in style. Haven't towed the boat yet but I am sure it will perform better than the Tahoe. The ride is appropriate.

ROAD WARRIOR TRAVELING SALESMAN
By dave on 06/20/05 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I owned 5 Suburbans. In 2001 I had a choice to pay cash for an Excursion or Suburban. The Suburban had less room, smaller motor and was 2,000 dollars higher. I chose the Ford. In 155,000 miles I replaced the tires, fuel pump and filter and brake pads. I will be replacing the shocks and and pads again this week. I drove that truck all over the country averaging 50,000 miles per year. It still runs well and looks nice. It failed me once when at 99,000 miles the fuel pump went out and stranded me in Colorado. Other than that it beat out all the GMCs I ever owned.

Love it!
By Becky on 05/04/05 11:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I love my Excursion Diesel! I use it extensively in my business, and also have four children, so nothing else compares. Always used to drive Suburbans, but had problems with lights, electric windows, etc. - little annoying problems, never a problem with my Excursion, and have put over 70K miles on it so far. The only two things that are problems, especially if you pull a lot of trailers, is the turning radius, which I believe has improved in the '05 model and the horsepower. It does not keep up at all with my '03 F350, but I will gladly give up the comfort of those two items, for the inside comfort and room! Would strongly recommend the diesel versus the gas model for gas purposes.