2001 Ford Excursion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:
12 1/2 years - first repair!
By islandlife1 on 03/20/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Unbelievable, but other than regular maintenance such as oil changes, battery, tire and wiper replacement there has never been one thing wrong with this truck. Just replaced the fuel pump, had it completely checked out, everything in perfect condition. Have loved this truck since the first day. Okay, lousy mileage, but use it for hauling and long distance trips. Purchased 3 days before 9/11 - still own with no intention of replacing. This truck far surpasses the Suburban by having a better turning base, more pick up and much more comfortable. A true Texas truck!!!

Reliable tough fun monster !
By thongboy1981 on 01/19/10 20:05 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

This is my first truck/suv and i wanted one that was huge well the excursion is certainly huge. On road trips you have to stop every so often because its so comfortable you keep nodding off while driving but yet its still tough and rugged.reliability is good only thing i replaced was ac compressor and running board light sockets.Gas milage can be as high as 14 on a constant long stretch highway but normally around 11 combined highway and city but well worth the gas milage.Winter roads are no challenge for the excursion .Only other complaints are when i hand wax it or need to scrap ice off the winsheild you will need a small ladder or step stool but well worth it i will keep it forever !!!!!!

The Best Heavy Duty Family Vehicle Made
By Daniel Jaeger on 03/06/08 17:43 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

The Excursion is the best vehicle we have purchased. From driving around town, to driving across the country with our travel trailer, this is the best vehicle for people who want a vehicle that seats many people, gets good fuel mileage, is reliable, and is willing to tow anything. My Powerstroke Excursion with Powerservice additive gets 20 mpg city and 25 highway. An Excursion will beat a Suburban anyday. From Towing to reliability, the diesel engine will outlast a Chevy gas 3 to 1. And thats just the beginning. I saw a Ford Excursion towing a broke down Chevy Suburban down I70 in Missouri. The Excursion is the only SUV that can tow 10000 pounds.

Cruise Liner on Wheels
By agateland on 08/26/07 15:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

My wife and three kids can travel all over without the usual cramped feeling and without any fighting amongst the kids. Can also load up our toy hauler (10,000 lbs.) and go over any mountain pass with ease. Feels very safe when driving in any kind of traffic. Overall a great vehicle. Bought new and have had it for six years.

Bang for your buck for a monster beast
By junbug1970 on 06/24/07 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

The gas mileage is better than my Durango even though this truck is 10 cylinder. The best comfortable ride for long drive. Towing a 9000lbs boat feels like towing a pair of jetskiis (effortless). Three of my door actuators are not working, so I have to replace that. Parking this beast in a small parking lot takes me about 3-4 back and forth motions. Need better turning radius.

Excursion-a fun trip and room to stretch
By FOZ on 04/15/07 13:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

Although this was a "Big Boat", it was still fun to drive. The power and economy of the 7.3L/TD was just awsome. We felt comfortible, safe, and secure in our "boat", even our Great Dane agreed. On several trips, the unit always performed to expectations and more. There was always enough room for everyone and everything. Even pulling a trailer was a joy. We hardly knew the trailer was there. We would gladly replace our present vehicle with a newer one (2005 being the last of the line), but for the right price. Right now they are still over priced on resale and under priced on trade values.

GREAT SUV
By Peter Waldman on 02/01/07 16:10 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

No problems here! Only oil changes on my V10 with 79,000 miles Got free tires from Ford at 65,000 so can go another 75K or so before I need them again. I get 13.4 MPG with a full load (trailer, 4 passengers, gear) at 75 miles per hour from PA to FL. Without the trailer I get the same MPG with speeds of 85 on Interstate 95 just going with traffic. My Jeep Wrangler only gets 17MPG Very happy all the way around. Was thinking of getting the new Expedition LE to replace it but after renting one for 3 weeks when in NM I think I will keep this one for a few more years. It's not the money - I just like it sooo much. When towing my 7500 lb trailer I don't even know it is back there. Get 1!

The Best By Far!
By mike on 10/30/06 18:33 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

We're a growing family family of 5. We wanted safety, plenty of space, towing capabilities, and a touch of luxury. We love our 2001 7.3 turbo diesel Limited Edition. We have peace of mind knowing that our family would be well protected in an accident. The excursion is very roomy and accommodates our family well, including our Great Dane. Towing a 16'x7.5' enclosed trailer with ATV's inside is no problem for this SUV. It rides and drives great! The turbo makes it respond quick and not sluggish. We'd highly recommend the turbo diesel. We get about 17-18 mpg around town and about 22 mpg on the interstate. Finally, the tow package, back up sensors, and leather interior beats our old Tahoe hands down.

200 Excursion is a disappointing vehicle
By BJMittelstaedt on 04/19/06 06:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

I had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles, went to Ford for some help paying for it and they could not have cared less, I have replaced the brakes several times and none of the door locks work, I will not purchase another Ford SUV, have heard better things about GM standing behind their products. Ford Customer Service is rude and difficult to work with.

A member of our family
By John A. on 01/06/06 19:28 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (6.8L 10cyl 4A)

After 4 1/2 years our family still loves our "Monster Truck". At 45,000 she still looks like new and runs even better. "Anytime, anywhere or anything" is her motto! We keep her 100% Ford including all servicing. Mileage with the V10 has improved over time averaging 11.5 city and 16 highway (light foot). Minor repairs included replacing the suspension bumpers (we do not off-road), turning the front rotors and a new set of Michelin's. Large mirrors and reverse sensors are a must. Living in Miami makes a sport of parking but sitting high above traffic gives you the added security. Our family keeps cars on average 10 years. We'll let you know how she is doing in another 4 1/2 years.