Used 2000 Ford Excursion SUV Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Excursion SUV - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Excursion SUV

View reviews for a specific Excursion model:

Wish Ford would build them again
By dad

2000 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this for the size, and diesel, 4x4. The 1st thing I did is put a hypertec programmer and a 4inch exhaust on for better power as I felt it lacked. I pull a 38ft travel trailer.it has been all over the US with very few problems. I have just the regular MA things to do. I avearge 24.5 mpg on the Hwy and 19 in the city ,not bad for a big SUV diesel. I do wish the chassis was long like the 4 door trucks Ford has, it would pull smoother. But overall I love this truck and the size.

My wife loves the heated seats as she cold natured, rear AC, rear stareo controls, lots of room for people, 4x4 on the fly.

Make the chassis 3ft longer for better pulling of trailers.

Great tow vehicle and very comfortable
By AL D

2000 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this 2000 Excuriosn to tow a 6500lb travel trailer. It has exceeded my expectations! Very comfortable on long trips, tows smoothly and handles well for such a big truck. I have the V10 which is efficient and very strong. I average 13 mpg towing at 60mph, and 17 highway not towing, with 4-6 passengers. This is a great truck.

Looks, comfort, interior, V10 engine, tow package

Mileage could always be better, but it is already higher than smaller v8 equipped SUVs.

These are the last of the Great American
By A. C. Roberson

2000 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used with only 4k miles and it was 2 years old. The only bad part was having to replace the front drive axle on the long side. I own and operate my bike shop and I noticed that the new axle had a redesigned u- joint. I kept the old one in case I need it since Ford does not replace the u-joint but the whole unit. Other than that, I have had to disassemble the locking hubs everytime they need grease. Plus replace the battery after 7 years. The upside is that this truck does not get any worse gas mileage than a regular pickup. The MPG does not care if I am loaded down and towing or running empty. This is mostly due to the transmission "learning" as it goes.

The 4WD is awesome! I like having the option of manually locking the hubs for those bad ice storms. I have seen auto lock systems of all kinds foul up when you need them. The seating is the best. The third row is made for grown ups and is really comfortable.

With recent technology going for the multi displacement (where cylinders not needed for power have the fuel shut off) I hope that someone will look at programming the ECU (brains) on these to do that. I hate that all the shock of seeing these trucks lead to their demise. Suburbans are as low mpg.

Wow
By big tom

2000 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

What a ride, my kids really enjoy the ride, gas is ok on long trips. It beats taking two cars with gear. It also pulls a load well

Comfortable

Turn signal, wipers switch

I like my Excursion
By Mark from UT

2000 Ford Excursion SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Exursion has been great for our family outside some break and power window issues. Diesel engine rocks. Pulling a 4800 pound boat around UT mountains is no problem and the truck is great in snow. Won't give it up.

Towing performance and engine reliability.

Handling could be a little tighter, at times it "floats" down the highway. May be time to put some money into the front end and/or find better highway.